Capt3513

Some trys at making Brill-like holsters

I've lurked here for over a year and found information and inspiration, so I figured it was time to register and put up a post or two.
I favor the holster styles from the 19th and early 20th centuries and after learning the history of "Brills" from "Holstory-Gunleather of the Twentieth Century" I was determined to try some for myself.

All except for the Hi-Power are lined and all are in my daily use rotation except for the small black one that I made for a neighbor.

The three or three-and-a-half welt layers make these tricky to construct and  the cuffs are also tricky as they are set for the specific belt width. I have considerable respect for the makers of the original Texas Ranger "Sunday holsters".

Thanks for looking...

t683737122_Brillstyleresized.thumb.jpg.949f5455cb6a5ddf57e976a1173b50c9.jpg

Awesome work Sir.

Very nice work

Hi Capt.

Just ordered Holstory.....  pricey at 100 bucks, but that's a little less than fifty cents a page..... what the heck.

Nice workmanship on those holsters.

God bless

those are great lookin holsters! Great basket weave as well as the double stitching.

Those are not only "try"s", That is Success!!! Good Job.

Very nice work. 

Awesome holsters.  I need to cover the trigger guard for most of the holsters I make.  I like the look of yours.  Nice basket weave also.

Nice work! 
Ive just made my first black-powder holster, a replica of the USArmy model 1863 Marlow flap holsters on a saber belt, and have enjoyed learning leather again after 30 years.

Found it interesting to learn how these later holster designs evolved— tho I’ve yet to see the book you mentioned— and how important can be the fit at the trigger guard 

Edited by CraigL

On 10/28/2020 at 5:14 AM, CraigL said:

Nice work! 
Ive just made my first black-powder holster, a replica of the USArmy model 1863 Marlow flap holsters on a saber belt, and have enjoyed learning leather again after 30 years.

Found it interesting to learn how these later holster designs evolved— tho I’ve yet to see the book you mentioned— and how important can be the fit at the trigger guard 

Here is a link to the aforementioned book.  https://www.holstory.com/

Would love to see some more photos of these from the different angles.