EmptyHide

Correct fuel for a creaser lamp

Hi all, 

100% isopropyl alcohol is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, and before I go salting some 70% I was wondering if I can safely use methylated spirits?  
would using metho leave a carbon deposit on my creaser?

@EmptyHide G'Day from WA  :) 

I did a quick search.

have a look at this :https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/creaser-alcohol-heating-lamp

Its in Utah? but the info may be relevant to your lamp. It does say "You can fill the reservoir is filled with denatured alcohol and it will set a nice consistent flame to rest your tool on " 

Denatured alcohol, aka metho :)  so I think thats a yes to your question.  So unlike kero , denatured alcohol ( metho)  has less carbon, I'm guessing. I think 'white spirit' ,used for dry cleaning,  is closer to turps. 

I have acetone in my collection of chemicals, don't dare use that, that will blow your eye brows off !!!  :rofl:

hope this helps 

HS

Denatured alcohol is what I use to heat tools - no soot.

Great thanks gents 

On 7/1/2020 at 2:57 PM, EmptyHide said:

Hi all, 

100% isopropyl alcohol is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, and before I go salting some 70% I was wondering if I can safely use methylated spirits?  
would using metho leave a carbon deposit on my creaser?

Hi,

Barnes Molding have 99% isoprop, King st, Newtown, about 200m from Sydney Uni, but it's about 10x the price of metho ($44ltr vs $4), Bunnings also list 500ml for $27 on their website (not available to buy online) but they don't say what strength, I know Barnes is 99% as I bought some a couple of years ago.

Mark