Bj Dixon

Feed dog screws keep loosening...solution suggestions?

My 331k105 is getting ready to start slinging thread again.

But one of the things I'm noticing is the feed dog screws keep loosening off as it runs. There's just so much vibration there and no doubt the screw hole threads are a little "slack" after 50-odd years of sewing.

I have thought of using a little locktight blue on them, but I'm a little concerned those cheap little singer common screw heads might not be up to the task of turning the screws back out again against the locktight.

Anyone run across this problem before? what was your solution?

I'm also getting a little fed up with these cheap, common screwdriver screws. I'm thinking about heading to the local bolt supply store and swapping out as many as I can for new hex drive pan heads (assuming they make them that small). I do that with a lot of my machinery, most notably Japanese bike carbs. They have JIS screws in them (look like phillips, but not) and they usually just strip when trying to remove them. Hex drive scews solve that problem and I'm thinking it might in this sewing machine as well. If nothing else, it woudl be a loteasier to install/remove them as opposed to the slotted heads.  Anyone go down that route yet?

I use the blue locktite on Chicago screws works great, should work on the sewing machine.  From what I understand singer used a type threads on there screws that you can’t find anywhere but singer,  some of these sewing machine guys can advise you better on that.

Yes,these screw are 1/8"x44tpi,it's possible that the PO ran them loose & the holes got enlongated & won't stay tight properly,Locktite should work work,if not you could buy a new feed bar if you can't get them to hold.

If you ever have trouble removing the loctite'd screws just apply a little heat from a pinpoint flame, it should be enough to loosen the bond. Won't need much.

like he ( dikman ) saying .. Locktight GTG , and pin flame to loosen . 
Or, also can use a point-tip Solder Iron and just set it to small screw head and the Locktight will loosen right up .

Good quality, properly fitting screwdrivers make a huge difference working with slotted screws.   Some of the best sets are sold as gunsmithing screwdrivers - Brownells probably has the best selection of thicknesses and widths if something special is needed.   They also sell screw slotting files if you want to clean up a damaged slot or widen it a bit.

Ive always been impressed with the quality of Singer screws - at least on par with most gun screws.

Edited by DonInReno