AlamoJoe2002

16 Ounce Strap Supplier, 1907 Leather Sling Build

Hello from the Greater Philadelphia PA Area! 

I'm hunting down 16 ounce (1/4 inches or 6.4mm) thick strapping to make a 1907 rifle sling for a competitive shooter. He needs the sling to be thick, stiff and not to stretch when in use.

I've talked to two suppliers so far with no luck. The hunt is on! I'm not ready to buy a side...

Recommendations? Any saddle makers close to me such as Lancaster, PA which is Amish Dutch? 

I'm also looking at hardware. I found the sling "frogs" or clips at the buckleguy and aliexpress. These are commonly referred to as littleton clips (from their belts). I would like to find authentic heavy frogs for the sling.

Thanks for any leads. Last time I sent up a flag a gentleman in Ireland gave me great advice. Great forum!

JOE

Can't you just make it from two layers of 8 oz?  Would have nice grain finish on front and back!

The client wanted to have a near authentic sling as possible.

Also, I'm a beginner and not very fast at the hand stitching. I don't have a sewing machine.

But, I will present the idea to the client and get feedback. Good glue should have no problems without stitching.

I like the grain on both sides presentation!

JOE

Edited by AlamoJoe2002
wording

For a use like a sling if you are going to go with 2 layers you really do need to sew it.  If you don't have a machine you may be able to take it to a saddle or boot repair shop and pay them to sew it.  A sling from a competitive shooters is going to be subject to a lot of different stresses while he uses it as well as adjusts it for the different positions.

Todd

I think when putting a 1907 sling together you will find 16 oz leather is too thick.  You may have to straighten the tips of the claws to get them together.  Even punching holes will be difficult (it is a lot of holes).    There is a possibility that at one point on the sling 4 layers will come together (64 oz).  I have a couple of these slings and I have shot a lot not competitive but a lot.   I think break-in would be a nightmare.  Personally I believe 8 oz would be plenty thick enough.  Just my two cents.  Just to make sure we are talking about the same style sling attached is a photo.

Photo snipped from this website.  https://www.hwsportsman.net

1907.JPG

The original slings weren't that thick 1/4". They are just one layer of heavy veg tan leather. I have replaced the leather on a couple of them and they wont stretch unless you pull a truck or something with them maybe. 

Yes Stephen1, that is the sling.

Chuck123wapati, I'm still looking for the original specs. I asked the shooter if 13oz would work for him...he restated he wanted 1/4" thick leather. What is the typical oz leather you have seen on this 1907 sling?

Now I'm concerned I may need to get the frogs made as the hardware may now be too short to hook to a thicker sling.

Good info Gents! Keep it rolling!

JOE

Two here are a heavy 1/8".  Original....  those were military M14 slings, real M14 full auto.  Now the 1903A3 is.......ta da....0.135".  Fifty years apart and only a few thousandths difference.

1/4" is a tight squeeze through the sling swivels. 

God bless

Check this out from an older post.  

I have straps cut from 1/4” Herman oak that I’ve edged and burnished. It looks thinner cuz I took off the edges, but I could sell you the straps

EFA0655A-8F76-4F4C-8376-B2D952E9356D.jpeg

And actually I could sell you some of this hide if you wanted

16DC8398-29B1-4687-862C-9F8AE526DB04.jpeg

Make sure the sling customer pays first.....before he sees what a mistake he made!  I just tried a chunk of 16oz on that '03-A3 and it's rather tight.

The original slings weren't that thick 1/4". They are just one layer of heavy veg tan leather. I have replaced the leather on a couple of them and they wont stretch unless you pull a truck or something with them maybe. 

17 hours ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Yes Stephen1, that is the sling.

Chuck123wapati, I'm still looking for the original specs. I asked the shooter if 13oz would work for him...he restated he wanted 1/4" thick leather. What is the typical oz leather you have seen on this 1907 sling?

Now I'm concerned I may need to get the frogs made as the hardware may now be too short to hook to a thicker sling.

Good info Gents! Keep it rolling!

JOE

I see someone has already given you the thickness of the originals. Just my thoughts on this project, the original 1907s were built to fit every body type and every rifle type so they were perforated with holes from one end to the other. If you really want to reduce the stretch then I would suggest building it with his custom length in mind, much fewer holes,  and also you would be able to form the leather at the sling swivels this would do what he wants. Thicker leather will not bend tightly at the sling swivels and is the most common problem with these slings, they dry and break the leather from bending at the swivels and imo is where the "stretch" or actually slack comes from. you can see in the picture posted by Steven1 the leather at the front swivel is is bent as tight as it can get when not used but when a guy really gets the sling around his arm and ready for use he has to pull this slack out and keep it out while aiming that is where his "stretch " is. I have used these for years on all my rifles, my dad a wwII vet wouldn't use anything else and taught me the same lol they are the best again IMO. Good luck with your project and shoot use some pics! 

Edited by chuck123wapati

I found a few construction drawings dated Nov 1950...which I inserted below...footnote citation/credit goes to Turner Saddlery for providing the details of the 1907 sling. I'm assuming skiving is done on one side only at the fold over for the buckle. It appears the skived side is the bottom inside shown on the right side of the edge view in the top detail. Does this sound correct?

JOE

1ffb9f60-f967-4825-8325-4e344d66703e_zpsb545a48c.jpg