rktaylor

Will James Wood Post Horn

Here's the latest saddle (#9). It's a 15" Will James on Swanke tree. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but I think it turned out fine. I still struggle with welted swell covers. There are a few other things I would like to do over, but not bad enough to actually do them over. Critique and comments are appreciated.

Randy

Will James 01.jpgWill James 02.jpgWill James 03.jpgWill James 04.jpg

Edited by rktaylor

Very nice!  What leather did you use?

Thanks.  It's all Hermann Oak. The rough out is buffed and the rest is #1.

Randy

Randy,

Your saddle looks good.  I like that it is not all roughout.  Your seat looks smooth and the bead line looks good.  It balances the tooling.  I'm not going to offer any suggestions because everyone has a different reason for what they attempted than I.  How long does it take to get a Swanke tree?  I've heard many good comments about his trees.  Is this a commission saddle?  I'm waiting to see number 10.

Ron

I think it looks great :)

11 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Randy,

Your saddle looks good.  I like that it is not all roughout.  Your seat looks smooth and the bead line looks good.  It balances the tooling.  I'm not going to offer any suggestions because everyone has a different reason for what they attempted than I.  How long does it take to get a Swanke tree?  I've heard many good comments about his trees.  Is this a commission saddle?  I'm waiting to see number 10.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I like the bead lines as well. It is a commission saddle. I like the prairie rose (Jeremiah Watt stamp), but it wouldn't be my top choice. It's about 4 months out for a Swanke tree. It was really nice. I have another Swanke tree that should arrive later this month. It's an Olin Young roper. I plan to take it to the Wichita Falls show in October.

8 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think it looks great :)

Thanks. I appreciation to compliment.

Randy

Randy, very nice looking saddle - Your cantle binding looks great!  Stitching looks really good.

It's nice to see the progression from one saddle to the next!  

Nice work!

Ron L

Ron, 

Thanks. I appreciate the compliments.  As you know,  pushing an awl through five layers of leather and coming out at the right spot is tough. I really like the exposed stitches. This turned out fine, but I think I can do better. I would like to clean up my work around the seat ear, but this wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to applying these lessons learned to the next saddle. 

I hope the leg is healed. 

Randy

In my best Darth Vader voice "Most Impressive". 

Everything looks clean and well made.  I'm sure the owner is going to be very happy.

Thanks Josh and AzShooter.