Retswerb

Kemovancraft reviews?

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago, the post office tells me it should be delivered sometime this week so I'll let you know soon-ish.

I bought some conchos and their whole range of half round punching tools because the reviews were good and at $5 each I just couldn't help myself.  See how we go.

23 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Great to hear, @Spyros - you can be my guinea pig. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Ok I just received it and mate I don't know what to tell you, I actually went back and double checked what I paid.  And yep it was USD $5 per punch.

First of all for the price I expected hollow steel in the handle and such, but nope, these things are solid everywhere, and heavy. 

Very good machining, clean welding, rounded edges everywhere, nicely formed cutter.  I can't really tell what they used for paint, it's definitely not blackened steel, but it feels really smooth like powdercoating.  Maybe it is powdercoating.

Even the numbers are actually etched into the steel, not painted on.  Obviously the cutters are not sharpened yet but even straight out of the box they have zero problems going through leather.

Even the packaging was impeccable.

various-1-L.jpg

various-1-5-L.jpg

various-1-4-L.jpg

various-1-3-L.jpg

I don't know what to say, I think the guy is under pricing those.  If you're a belt maker and want to cut 10oz bridle all day then this is not the tool for you, but for me they're absolutely perfect.  For the price I was hoping for something to last me a few months, but these look and feel like they will be around for years.  Only reservation is the quality of the steel, it's definitely heat treated for hardness but i want to see how it holds an edge.  I won't know that for a while but from what I've seen so far these are good quality tools.  Not super heavy duty but a lot more than what you'd expect for $5.  In Australia those would be closer to $50.

Also got some conchos for shits and giggles, what you see is what you get with those.

various-1-6-L.jpg

Total AUD $110 (USD$76) for 7 punches and 4 conchos, including shipping to Australia.  

That was my only experience with Kemovan, and yeah, very happy so far.

Edited by Spyros

I know this is an old thread, But i thought i would share some good shots of the tools I just received, as I struggled to find good shots of  Kemovan tools when i was shopping. If anyone wants some different shots of what I got just let me know.

PGH56567.thumb.jpg.d730f0cc45794281bc6d7b10cee078e4.jpg

PGH56569.thumb.jpg.a1524e4c1abd05a34fde961d19a35347.jpg

PGH56570.thumb.jpg.0b60d73000574f479fde03b9685514b5.jpg

PGH56571.thumb.jpg.5eb68f31379fbb76d48c74a744aeb2ed.jpg

PGH56647.thumb.jpg.f9cbca4456cfd84b3881cafcb28ea0c6.jpg

stack4.thumb.jpg.8d0d307af6c71cbc45f7796233067bdc.jpg

KemovanCraft is now on my list of options to upgrade to. I have been using... well... one of those " starter kits " for 10 + years out of just no idea really..but now it´s time to step up.

What i was drawn too now was that they had a set of stitching chisels, and not only 1 for 80 bucks or so. 

This kit seems a bit too good to be true haha.. but i think it´s well worth a try at least. 

Upgrade Version French Flat Pricking Iron Leathercraft | Etsy UK

A 2-5-9 set for under 50 Euro... and i have never tried them. Now just to decide what sizes to get in terms of mm in between.

Would 3 mm be too slim for lady purses and hunting gear, knife sheets etc?

11 hours ago, Grihm said:

KemovanCraft is now on my list of options to upgrade to. I have been using... well... one of those " starter kits " for 10 + years out of just no idea really..but now it´s time to step up.

What i was drawn too now was that they had a set of stitching chisels, and not only 1 for 80 bucks or so. 

This kit seems a bit too good to be true haha.. but i think it´s well worth a try at least. 

A 2-5-9 set for under 50 Euro... and i have never tried them. Now just to decide what sizes to get in terms of mm in between.

Would 3 mm be too slim for lady purses and hunting gear, knife sheets etc?

I think 3mm would be good for purses, but I use 4 or 5mm for the other.  nice looking tools. 

16 hours ago, Grihm said:

I have the 3.85 mm set, and used them to make the test sample on the left side of this photo. The right test sample was done with the the 4.0 mm diamond set. 

The thread from top to bottom is :

1. 0.4 to 0.45mm Vinymo MBT #8
  2. 0.6mm Vinymo MBT #5
  3. 0.6mm tiger thread
  4. 0.75mm Vinymo MBT #1
  5. 0.8mm tiger thread

Please note I'm a complete newbie!

front.jpg

@dans79 for a noob, that's some good stitchin'!  I ordered a set of chisels a couple of weeks back but haven't a chance to use them, yet.  But will soon and I will report back.   But if the punches that @Spyros mentioned are still close (with inflation and all) I am sorely tempted to get some of those punches for myself, soon.

10 hours ago, PastorBob said:

I think 3mm would be good for purses, but I use 4 or 5mm for the other.  nice looking tools. 

Yes i feel that would do a good job of most products. I will possibly order a seconf set as well, and in that i´l go 3.8 or so, but i feel it´s hard to know before you have the tools in hand you know =)

Btw... their website was even cheaper to order from than etsy, so check them out if you wanna buy something. 

4 hours ago, dans79 said:

I have the 3.85 mm set, and used them to make the test sample on the left side of this photo. The right test sample was done with the the 4.0 mm diamond set. 

The thread from top to bottom is :

1. 0.4 to 0.45mm Vinymo MBT #8
  2. 0.6mm Vinymo MBT #5
  3. 0.6mm tiger thread
  4. 0.75mm Vinymo MBT #1
  5. 0.8mm tiger thread

Please note I'm a complete newbie!

front.jpg

These are great stitching's indeed. I really must get more thread since i only use waxed linnen thread. They are not as easy to get in these perfect lines :p  but i have always been a bit sold on the organic aspects in my material, but i will for sure look into it. 

3 hours ago, JayEhl said:

@dans79 for a noob, that's some good stitchin'!  I ordered a set of chisels a couple of weeks back but haven't a chance to use them, yet.  But will soon and I will report back.   But if the punches that @Spyros mentioned are still close (with inflation and all) I am sorely tempted to get some of those punches for myself, soon.

Looking forward to hearing your experience of them.

I feel i will make the purchase and try it out. It can´t get worse than my old rubbish ones i have today anyways haha. New end cutters is also needed so... oh crap this will be costly, but still fun and worth it =)