Abdo

Took 3 DAYS to make a 3 MINS leather wallet making video :) Please share thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGumgagJrN0

Hey guys. I worked really hard to make this video. If you like what you see, please consider  leaving a comment on YOUTUBE / hitting the like and subscribe button. It would really help me out as I’m trying to grow my business.

I want to keep improving so please feel free to critique. Ask me any questions. Thank you!!

DSC00056.JPG

Edited by Abdo

Just watched the video, really good stuff. The close focusing on the work is excellent, nice and clear at every stage. Just personal preference but I also find craft videos like yours much better without music (particularly ukulele- sorry anyone who plays!). All round neat work too.

I can't think of anything to critique

Alex

Thanks for the kind words Alex! I agree, I don’t like music in the background and much prefer the sound of tools, leather etc.

I think you are doing a great job. Your thumbnails are on point and you seem to be getting a lot of subs and views. Just comparing what I'm seeing on your channel vs mine since we both started about the same time. Are you more interested in drawing traffic to your ETSY or grow the youtube thing? 

I'm just trying to understand the click through, impression, traffic and watch time but it seems like my views are drawing about 2-3mins of watch time so about 28% of the actual video. I'd guess your videos are getting a higher % watch time and that is good for the algorithm as best I understand. You can always PM if you care to discuss this stuff in private instead? 

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan! I’m interested in turning this whole leather craft thing into a business. That’s why I started doing YouTube videos. I figured it would generate more sales and give me a slight edge...I’ve noticed an increase in ETSY traffic but not sales. I guess it takes time. What’s your goal?

I’m trying to understand the algorithm as well. My views are drawing ~ 2 mins of watch time, which is about 66% of my video length (I don’t think the algorithm cares about  % watch time as much as the actual mins though...so YouTube should be ranking your videos a bit higher...)

Nice video. Isn't it hard to clean that glue applicator? I think you should try to pour your glue into a larger container and use a glue spreader like this, I think you will like it. https://leathercrafttools.com/item/4664/

Also pick up some small ones like these (Search ebay for Glue spreaders)

s-l1600.jpg

Liked and commented. Nice video! I like the snap :-) If only it were that easy, huh?

I use the glue spreaders like the ones above and was actually wondering how the foam ones were. I saw Little King Goods use them and it made me curious. I may have to grab a few and see which I prefer. I think the spreader would waste less but the foam thing looks like it may be better controlled.

@battlemunky @Danne Thanks guys.

I have all kinds of glue applicators including a small one like in the picture; that’s what I normally use. I decided to try a disposable foam brush because it sounds nice when you brush it against the leather (ASMR sound). I get 6 of them for $1 from the dollar store, so it’s not a huge deal if I throw it out after I’m done making my video. 

Edited by Abdo

9 hours ago, Abdo said:

Thanks Bryan! I’m interested in turning this whole leather craft thing into a business. That’s why I started doing YouTube videos. I figured it would generate more sales and give me a slight edge...I’ve noticed an increase in ETSY traffic but not sales. I guess it takes time. What’s your goal?

I’m trying to understand the algorithm as well. My views are drawing ~ 2 mins of watch time, which is about 66% of my video length (I don’t think the algorithm cares about  % watch time as much as the actual mins though...so YouTube should be ranking your videos a bit higher...)

Hey best of luck! I think that is a great way to draw traffic and start a following / business. I think a ton of things go into the algorithm. You are doing something right in my opinion. Keep it up. 
My goals.. I’m starting off business minded but really long term. If things went my way I’d make a few bucks off YouTube and make/sell in small batches like limited runs of 10-20 wallets at a time. Not sure how that’d go over? 

@BentleyLeather Your products look good. I’m pretty sure you’d be able to do it. Do you currently sell your products? What platform do you use? By the way you should post your videos on reddit and facebook groups to get more views.

9 hours ago, Abdo said:

@BentleyLeather Your products look good. I’m pretty sure you’d be able to do it. Do you currently sell your products? What platform do you use? By the way you should post your videos on reddit and facebook groups to get more views.

Thank you, I know there is plenty for me to still learn. I do not sell anything or have a site to. A stamp of my logo and a heat press would be nice though! 

12 hours ago, BentleyLeather said:

Thank you, I know there is plenty for me to still learn. I do not sell anything or have a site to. A stamp of my logo and a heat press would be nice though! 

Yes you should totally get a logo stamp and I would 100% recommend an alphabet set. A lot of people want an embossed name/initials on Etsy. I lost a lot of business because I had this cheap plastic stamp from rmleathersupply that I couldn’t t use. I had to do one letter at a time (it was a nightmare trying to line up names perfectly) and eventually it warped from hammering. I just ordered a brass alphabet set from Hex n’ Hit

A heat press would be amazing. Dream Factory makes a good one (also a clicker press) but it’s expensive.  You can use an arbor press with a heat gun instead if you want a cheaper solution

2 hours ago, Abdo said:

Hex n’ Hit

I saw the video and I thought it was pretty good except the parts where it blurred out of focus.  But everything else was good if you were going for more of a presentation of how it was made instead of a 'how-to'.  @Abdo I checked out hex 'n hit and was impressed.  Kind of what I am looking for in an alphabet set for the same reasons you noted but it'll have to wait as more practice is in front of me!  

Thanks for sharing!

@JayEhl Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the scene with the needle storage case in particular was blurry. I’ll keep that in mind for next time. Definitely get an alphabet set when you’re ready. It’s kind of expensive but it will pay for itself in the long run

Good luck!!

Could I ask what leather you used?  Thanks.  Joe

1 hour ago, pruettjr said:

Could I ask what leather you used?  Thanks.  Joe

It’s Pueblo from Badalassi Carlo tannery :)

@Abdo I need to locate a source for a logo stamp. I’ll keep the letter set in mind. I’ve priced a few out. Noticing any more sales yet or to early to tell? 

Growing your channel can be really challenging, but it sounds like you're on the right track by reaching out and asking for feedback. Engagement is key, so keep interacting with your viewers both in the comments and outside YouTube if you can.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:14 AM, BentleyLeather said:

@Abdo I need to locate a source for a logo stamp. I’ll keep the letter set in mind. I’ve priced a few out. Noticing any more sales yet or to early to tell? 

Be aware that many names have more than one of some letters so just one alphabet might not be that good but there are sets out there with multiples of the more common letters.

Just checked out your leather wallet video, and I'm genuinely impressed with the craftsmanship and detail you've put into just 3 minutes! It's clear a lot of effort went into both the wallet making and the video editing.

What thickness are you using for your wallet?

On the editing front, if you're ever looking to tweak or upgrade your skills, I've found a fantastic resource that's helped me a lot with my projects: https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/best-free-mp4-editors.html. It has a list of some great free MP4 editors that are perfect for polishing videos without breaking the bank. It's been super useful for me, especially when I want to fine-tune my videos without investing in expensive software. Might be worth a look if you're planning more videos in the future.

Edited by fgabesz