Wykoni

Cobra class 4 sewing machine

Let’s get some background info.  I talked to Steve a year back or so, because I do holsters and other heavier stuff a class 4 is what I need.  I have never used a leather sewing machine, always hand stitched my stuff.  I do have some concept of a sewing machine, wife owns a singer, so I know something that may or may not relate.  Here is my question, how difficult is it to learn?  Is the training curve extremely steep or is is pretty easy.  Feedback would be appreciated.  

Being fairly new myself I can only generalise. I don't think any of it is difficult per se, the problem is once you put a hole in the wrong place it's there forever. The trick is getting all your ducks in a row as regards thread size/needle size/upper tension/lower tension/speed/guides etc. I found getting the machine slow enough gave me the chance to learn and I loved it, and still do especially when it goes right. Good luck Phil.

The machine head will arrive fully adjusted, oiled, needled and threaded, with a sewn test stack of leather under the feet. The machine head will be in a separate box on the pallet from the pedestal stand. Any accessories you order up front will also be in the machine's box and protected from impact. There will be an assembly guide, or even a DVD. You will need to assemble the table and mount the machine before you can use it at all. Do not turn any knobs or screws on the machine head at this time!  The head itself is very heavy and you will definitely need assistance mounting and securing it to the pedestal table. The table should be extended to your preferred operating height before the head is bolted on. It will be very difficult to move it afterwards. If you raise or lower it from the default setting you'll have to reposition the connecting rods and chains to the motor and foot lifter arm.

Once the head is mounted onto the table and the v-belts properly tensioned (for about 1/2 inch deflection in the center), follow the thread path, photograph it and memorize it. Open the cover plate on the left end and you will find the bobbin case that has a spring loaded release tab. Pull on the bobbin thread to see what the factory bobbin thread tension is supposed to be for that size thread. Note, that the top thread will probably be cut off of the actual spool it was on. You will have to re thread the machine from a fresh spool once you have assembled the thread stand onto the table.

There are some basic techniques you need to learn and keep to heart. The first thing every industrial sewing machine operator has to learn is to physically hold back the starting threads for the first 2 or 3 stitches. Next would be when to try to pull out the work and thread after raising the feet. This happens on the take-up stroke when the take-up lever is close to the top on the upstroke.

There is going to have to be hands on time to bring you up to the comfort level to sew actual projects. This is time you will spend practicing sewing straight lines and turns, then sewing parallel lines and reversing. Test strips will help you learn how to adjust the top and bobbin thread tensions for different size thread and needles and different thicknesses of leather.

So, yes there is a learning curve. But, it usually happens fairly quickly and you should be on your way in a couple of days after setting it up. You can always contact the seller for assistance (this should be your first option since it is irrevocably included in the price of the machine) and we have many experienced owners of Cobra, Cowboy and Techsew machines in this forum. Many of the owners of these big machines, known in the trade as 441 clones or harness stitchers, had little or no previous experience before buying their machine.

I have had a Cobra 4 for a little more than 3 years now. Before that i had a Tippmann Boss for 3 years. These are my only experience with machine sewing. I hated the Tippmann like nothing I have ever known, and I can't say enough good about the Cobra 4. There is a learning curve but it was minor for me, I watched the Chris Andre and Al Bane videos on the Leather Machine website several times before ordering and several times after receiving my machine.  With these videos and great customer service from the Leather Machine Co. you should have no problem learning the machine.  the Facebook group, Tips and tricks with Cobra class equipment is a great resource.  I have never had a regret about buying this machine it is a timesaving workhorse.

Wykoni, after reading Wiz's reply it may sound daunting, but it's not that bad. Like anything new it takes time to become familiar with it. There are many videos on youtube about this class of machine and plenty of excellent help here. You won't regret getting one and funnily enough I found the big machine to be easier to use and more forgiving than my smaller machines (there's something nice about a big needle and thick thread :)).

Learning how to set it up is probably the hardest part.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Wykoni, after reading Wiz's reply it may sound daunting, but it's not that bad. Like anything new it takes time to become familiar with it. There are many videos on youtube about this class of machine and plenty of excellent help here. You won't regret getting one and funnily enough I found the big machine to be easier to use and more forgiving than my smaller machines (there's something nice about a big needle and thick thread :)).

Learning how to set it up is probably the hardest part.

Yup big needles go through finger & bone lol