bcraig

Inexpensive diamond Stitching chisel for making stitch holes in holster ?

I have never used stitching chisels to make a holster and would like to try them.

I will be Making 3 Western style Crossdraw Holsters for my Colt SAA Pietta 45 Colt Clone,  Remington 1858 New Army with 5 1/2 Barrel and another one like it but with an 8 inch barrel.
Using 9 - 10 Ounce leather.

Do I need to get a 1,2 3 or 4 prong ?
I would also like them to be spaced at 5 stitches per inch.

Where can I find a inexpensive Chisel /Chisels at 5 stitches per inch ?

Any advice or pointers to using them ?

Thanks

Please check out this thread that is in the Sewing Leather forum...

Mr. Armitage demonstrates a host of irons on his YouTube channel.  He offers written reviews on his website.

For starters you can get by with two chisels.  Your choice, but a 2-prong for curved areas is a given, then I'd go with either a 4 or 6 prong.  eBay and Amazon have tons of cheap stitching chisels.  Weaver Leather stocks various t.p.i. Irons, you might check them out too.

After you get used to them and know more about what you like or don't like about them, you can upgrade.

5 stitches per inch is 25mm/5=5mm spacing, they're not very common but I have seen them somewhere. 

If you don't know how many prongs you need then you probably you need multiple.  For heavy leather I'd go for something polished otherwise it might be trouble to pull them out.  

Wuta leather, Kemovan, Weaver are the usual suspects. 

The single prong chisels are, IMHO, about as much use as tits on a boar. As others have said a 2-prong for tight corners and something a bit longer for straight runs, the length depending on how curvy your design is. Will you be sewing a belt also?

5 SPI chisels are available (I've got them as coarse as 4 SPI) but less common, and to my taste might look a little too coarse on a pistol holster but that's subjective. (I'd go to 6 or 7 SPI for "working" gear and 8 or 10 for "finer" but again that's just me.)

Advice for use? Stab the chisel into a bar of glycerine soap every so often to lubricate it. Works far better than beeswax and you can use it to slick your edges too. Make sure your chisel is perpendicular to the leather before you hit it (bitter experience there). Then when you've finished your project and want to do more, buy a pricking iron and a decent awl and double your sewing speed ;):lol:

10 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Then when you've finished your project and want to do more, buy a pricking iron and a decent awl and double your sewing speed ;):lol:

And don't forget the band aids :D

buy good ones you wont be disappointed and you can resell them if you decide. I was given a set of the cheapo Chinese made ones and they bend or break off, and are not polished so are a real pain to get back out of heavy leather.

3 hours ago, Matt S said:

The single prong chisels are, IMHO, about as much use as tits on a boar. 

au contraire, I like single for the apex of corners. Corners first, then work from centre of sides towards corners, adjusting if necessary the last stitch to that corner one. Adjusted stitches are less noticeable at the corners

But in this OPs case I think he can skip the 1 and go for a 2 and a 4

I have some of these.

https://www.goodsjapan.com/seiwa-diamond-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x4mm/a-19162

Not too expensive, but won't bend. A little polishing is nice, but not required. I use them all the time. I have the 4mm x 6 and the 4mm x 2, as well as the 3mm x 6 and 3mm x 2. I like the 4mm for holsters.

See this video.

https://youtu.be/Y0EL7K2NhYs

He talks about them at about 52:00 min in.

I'm a fan of them for certain things.  For exotic panel on holster that have to be stitched first.  Stuff made from thinner leather.  Smaller items I can do quick.  

For 2 layers of thicker leather I find them too much trouble to deal with.  I wanted to like them.  I tried.  I went back to my awl chucked into my drill press to pre punch holes.  

I live in the United States and I have looked using Google and Cannot find anything but Imports.
Is there Not a soul that Makes a Good Inexpensive Diamond Stitching Chisel in the US  ?

37 minutes ago, bcraig said:

Is there Not a soul that Makes a Good Inexpensive Diamond Stitching Chisel in the US  ?

Two opposite things there. An oxymoron

Good, yes

inexpensive, no

A good tool like this will last your lifetime of leather work

Check these out; https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/67-7252/diamond-stitching-chisel-set/pr_55115

Others on here can advise on the company and the tools

Edited by fredk

11 hours ago, fredk said:

Two opposite things there. An oxymoron

Good, yes

inexpensive, no

A good tool like this will last your lifetime of leather work

Check these out; https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/67-7252/diamond-stitching-chisel-set/pr_55115

Others on here can advise on the company and the tools

Made In China

There is always TandyLeather.com They have a wide variety of chisels and they are not too expensive.  I buy a lot from Tandy.  Four prong and two will be good enough for your needs.

30 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

There is always TandyLeather.com They have a wide variety of chisels and they are not too expensive.  I buy a lot from Tandy.  Four prong and two will be good enough for your needs.

Agreed!  They run sales at times also.  The Craftool Pro Chisels are nice, but their cheaper diamond chisels, the black ones work well too.

It Looks like I will have to buy a Diamond Chisel made by the Chinese as It appears that regardless of what name is on the Chisels all of them are Made in China.

I would rather support the U.S. economy than China's economy but I suppose that is Just the way it is.

I would pay more for a US Made or almost any other Countries product than China .
Swear shop labor, viruses and a known Propensity for Cruelty to animals and People.

Please overlook my rant as I know this Forum is about Leather and Leather working.

Thanks to EVERYONE that commented to my questions about Diamond Chisels .

15 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thanks for the Link.
I am really looking for something made in the US with 5 SPI but they look good for sure !

11 hours ago, bcraig said:

It Looks like I will have to buy a Diamond Chisel made by the Chinese as It appears that regardless of what name is on the Chisels all of them are Made in China.

I would rather support the U.S. economy than China's economy but I suppose that is Just the way it is.

I would pay more for a US Made or almost any other Countries product than China .

Osborne tools are made in the US. Some smaller/artisan makers out there too, as well as quality tools made by nations which align closer with your values than China (George Barnsley of England for instance, and Blanchard of France). Don't be surprised at the price being at least 5x times that of a Chinese tool -- it's amazing what you can save by employing virtual slaves, ignoring environmental concerns and having your shipping prices subsidised by the government in order to undercut the manufacturing capabilities of foreign nations.

Kevin Lee tools has basic diamond and French irons that are really affordable ($30 for a set of diamond pricking irons - 1,2,4 and 6 teeth) and he does have 5 spi.   According to the website, they're low cost, no frills so people can try out new tools without breaking the bank.  I got some of the French pricking irons from him a while ago, and they are great tools at a great price.  Teeth are polished, too, so they don't stick.  They're made in and ship from China, which I know you aren't crazy about, but they're a great deal if you don't mind the wait...and China.  

My diamond chisels are from Weaver, and the biggest one in the set sticks pretty bad, especially in thick leather.  They're not bad tools, but they're also not made in the USA, I don't believe.  Good luck with the search!

As far as using them goes, getting them to come out evenly on the other side takes a little practice.  My lines still wander more than I'd like  Also, I find it's harder to keep the backside line from wondering any time the shape of your piece prevents you from having the stitch line lay flat. Also, with really thick leather the chisels won't punch all the way through.  Prongs are too short.  You can drive them as deep as possible and follow up with an awl, but taking them all the way down can mark the face of your project, and if the teeth aren't polished you spend a lot of time trying to get those things free of the leather. 

Goodsjapan. Goodsjapan. Goodsjapan.

I've got their 4 mm diamond Seiwa chisels. If you can have it cheap and good, these are it.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AMERICAN MADE, THEN YOU NEED LOOK NO FURTHER THAN CS OSBORN TOOLS. THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 190 YRS. YEP! 190 YRS. THE SAME FAMILY OWNS IT { 8TH GENERATION} IF YOU HAVE BEEN IN THIS HOBBY FOR A LITTLE WHILE, MIGHT i SUGGEST THAT YOU START INVESTING IN IT. BY THAT i MEAN THE PRICE SHOULD BE COMPARED TO THE QUALITY AND DURABILITY OF TYHE ITEM YOU ARE BUYING. OSBORN TOOLS WILL OUTLAST YOU AND POSSIBLY YOUR KIDS ALSO. WHEN i LIVED IN SILVER CITY NM. i BOUGHT A SADDLERS COMPASS THROUGH A SADDLEMAKER THERE. HE GAVE ME A USED ROUND KNIFE ALSO. i STILL HAVE BOTH AND USE THEM TILL THIS DAY. THE COMPASS IS 50 YRS OLD AND THE KNIFE IS OVER 50. TO GET TO THEIR WEBSITE YOU KNEED TO PUNCH IN  OSBORN LEATHERWORKING TOOLS.COM, NOT CS OSBORN, THAT WILL ONLY GET YOU A CATALOG, NO PRICES. THESE ARE THE BEST LEATHER WORKING TOOLS IN THE WORLD. PERIOD! EVERY MANFG. TRIES TO COPY THEM. THEIR ROTARY PUNCH IS THE BENCH MARK THAT OTHER CO. TRY FOR. SO IS THEIR ROUND KNIFE. BEFORE YOU GET TURNED OFF BY THINKING THE PRICE IS HIGH{ ACTUALLY MOST OF THEIR STUFF IS LOWER OR SAME} TRY FIGURING LIKE THIS... PRICE DIVIDED BY LONGEVITY  IE SAY A PUNCH COSTS $50, AND WILL LAST A MIN. OF 50 YRS. THAT IS A SPENDITURE OF $1 A YEAR FOR IT. i NOW HAVE ALL 35 OF THEIR END STRAP PUNCHES.{WEAVER DOESN'T THAT MANY} THEIR AWLS ARE AMONG THE BEST ALSO AND THEY OFFER A LOT OF DIFFERENT LENGTHS AND STYLES. HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU. YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH QUIALITY. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EXTROIDINARY ALSO. HAPPY TOOLING

21 hours ago, OLESKIVER said:

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AMERICAN MADE, THEN YOU NEED LOOK NO FURTHER THAN CS OSBORN TOOLS. THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 190 YRS. YEP! 190 YRS. THE SAME FAMILY OWNS IT { 8TH GENERATION} IF YOU HAVE BEEN IN THIS HOBBY FOR A LITTLE WHILE, MIGHT i SUGGEST THAT YOU START INVESTING IN IT. BY THAT i MEAN THE PRICE SHOULD BE COMPARED TO THE QUALITY AND DURABILITY OF TYHE ITEM YOU ARE BUYING. OSBORN TOOLS WILL OUTLAST YOU AND POSSIBLY YOUR KIDS ALSO. WHEN i LIVED IN SILVER CITY NM. i BOUGHT A SADDLERS COMPASS THROUGH A SADDLEMAKER THERE. HE GAVE ME A USED ROUND KNIFE ALSO. i STILL HAVE BOTH AND USE THEM TILL THIS DAY. THE COMPASS IS 50 YRS OLD AND THE KNIFE IS OVER 50. TO GET TO THEIR WEBSITE YOU KNEED TO PUNCH IN  OSBORN LEATHERWORKING TOOLS.COM, NOT CS OSBORN, THAT WILL ONLY GET YOU A CATALOG, NO PRICES. THESE ARE THE BEST LEATHER WORKING TOOLS IN THE WORLD. PERIOD! EVERY MANFG. TRIES TO COPY THEM. THEIR ROTARY PUNCH IS THE BENCH MARK THAT OTHER CO. TRY FOR. SO IS THEIR ROUND KNIFE. BEFORE YOU GET TURNED OFF BY THINKING THE PRICE IS HIGH{ ACTUALLY MOST OF THEIR STUFF IS LOWER OR SAME} TRY FIGURING LIKE THIS... PRICE DIVIDED BY LONGEVITY  IE SAY A PUNCH COSTS $50, AND WILL LAST A MIN. OF 50 YRS. THAT IS A SPENDITURE OF $1 A YEAR FOR IT. i NOW HAVE ALL 35 OF THEIR END STRAP PUNCHES.{WEAVER DOESN'T THAT MANY} THEIR AWLS ARE AMONG THE BEST ALSO AND THEY OFFER A LOT OF DIFFERENT LENGTHS AND STYLES. HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU. YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH QUIALITY. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EXTROIDINARY ALSO. HAPPY TOOLING

I went and looked and they do not appear to offer a DIAMOND stitching Chisel at all.
And they do not have a stitching chisel that offers 5 SPI.

afaia ALL STITCHING chisels are diamond and only lacing chisels are available in diamond or parallel tooth. The reason most sellers don't say the stitching chisel is diamond tooth is because they all are and its a given

PS. We have given you several options. You have now become a Troll. From here on I'm adding you to my ignore list as I do not feed trolls

Edited by fredk

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

afaia ALL STITCHING chisels are diamond and only lacing chisels are available in diamond or parallel tooth. The reason most sellers don't say the stitching chisel is diamond tooth is because they all are and its a given

PS. We have given you several options. You have now become a Troll. From here on I'm adding you to my ignore list as I do not feed trolls

I looked at the Pictures of the Chisels and they did not appear to me to be shaped like a Diamond Chisel.
I am merely try to find what I want.
I am not a Troll ,just a 60 year old man trying to find exactly what I want.
HOWEVER if you CHOOSE to consider Me  a Troll and want to add me to your Ignore list then by all means do so.
That is Merely your Your Mistaken Opinion and your Mistake and I Promise you that I will Lose no sleep over your Mistake.

Osborne should probably try a little harder with their website, those photos look like they were shot on a phone and then someone cut them out of the background in Microsoft Paint.

At least Blanchard is also selling on Etsy and that forced them to upload some bigger photos so you can see what you're actually buying.  And even they, I don't get it, would it kill them to get some new punches to stamp their logo properly?  This looks like a photo of a breakfast fork lying on a public toilet floor.

il_794xN.2327036513_53nm.jpg