tossik

PFAFF 335 for leatherwork?

I have a chance to pickup one of these Pfaff 335 machines locally for $800 for one. Are these any good for leather/canvas work? I currently have a Juki DNU-241HS flatbed, and I am also in the market for a heavy duty 441 clone or similar. Will this machine be a good middle duty machine? I mainly do small wallet/accessories and will be expanding into bags/satchels more once i get a 441 type machine. 

Anyone have any experience with either of these, where they can recommend one or the other?

PFAFF 335-901-1935-002/005
Pfaff 335-G-H3

00O0O_bXrhw0HS4T3_0cU09G_600x450.jpg

01111_1EWIqzI8wOO_0cU09G_600x450.jpg

I see a needle position synchronizer on the balance wheel. This machine was used in a production setting. What you need to look at is whether it has a two or four motion feed dog. If the feed dog moves back, drops down, moves forward and raises up, it is good for some leather sewing. If it only meves forward and backward and doesn't drop, it is a binder machine. A binder machine can still feed unbound material, but the feed motion may shorten the stitch length and won't help feed the material.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I see a needle position synchronizer on the balance wheel. This machine was used in a production setting. What you need to look at is whether it has a two or four motion feed dog. If the feed dog moves back, drops down, moves forward and raises up, it is good for some leather sewing. If it only meves forward and backward and doesn't drop, it is a binder machine. A binder machine can still feed unbound material, but the feed motion may shorten the stitch length and won't help feed the material.

So if it is a 4 way then it is a good purchase at $800 or should I pass and get something else? which of the two is a better bet?

I do not see any disadvantages in a 2 motion (back and forth going) feed dog. I had a 2 motion Pfaff 345 binder machine and it sewed just everything... The short stitches only happened when set up for binding and feeding too thick binding material through the binder but IMO this has nothing to do with 2 or 4 motion feed since both machine have needle feed. Thats at least what I have experienced with 2 motion feed dog machines. $800 in either case is a quite good deal when I look at the condition of these two machines and when I look at the pictures both seem not to be setup as binder machines. I would probably  even buy both, maybe they do a package deal and you can make some $ selling the other machine. Condition really seem to be excellent.

BUT - test them before you buy them! You never know how good or bad the motor is working - at least one seem to have EFKA motors and its expensive to fix them if they are not working properly.

Pfaff is marketing their 335 model work leather work. H3 machines are usually set up for heavier material and have a foot lift of approx 11mm.

EDIT:

Just noticed the machine in upper picture has not stitch length lever but maybe its in the drawer.

Edited by Constabulary

The white machine on the bottom picture would be quite a lot newer and with a bigger bobbin capacity I believe of around 40% more than the old standard bobbins. They will work fairly well and about the only reservation I would mention is that the distance of the needle from the outer edge is a fair way in at 9mm. That can sometimes make tight gusset work and such fairly difficult. BUT the price is amazing and if the were here in Australia I would buy them both in a heart beat. The EFKA motors with the needle positioners etc are really great to use and help a lot getting quality stitching. Here is a link for the Pfaff 335-G-H3 - https://www.pfaff-industrial.com/en/portfolio/sewing-machines/cylinder-arm/pfaff335

Edited by RockyAussie
link

Is the stitch length/reverse lever missing on the top photo (older machine)?

Yep, I noticed that too. If both machines are the same price I would take the bottom (newer) one. I think it has slightly more lift under the feet?

Thanks for all the replies!

I will be able to take a look at them both in about a week or two (the seller is traveling at the moment). If all goes well, I might pick up the newer one. Hopefully it will serve me well as a medium duty machine before I pick up a 441 close or such...

On 7/8/2020 at 12:38 AM, Wizcrafts said:

I just bought a 335-H3-6/01 and the feed dog moves only forward and backwards it doesn't rises up.

Can it be changed ?

30 minutes ago, AlbertoE said:

I just bought a 335-H3-6/01 and the feed dog moves only forward and backwards it doesn't rises up.

Can it be changed ?

Possibly, but it will be very expensive. This has been discussed before on Leatherworker.net. Use our search engine, or search Google like this example:

convert pfaff 335 to 4 way feed motion site:leatherworker.net

On 7/24/2020 at 11:58 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Possibly, but it will be very expensive. This has been discussed before on Leatherworker.net. Use our search engine, or search Google like this example:

convert pfaff 335 to 4 way feed motion site:leatherworker.net

Thank you 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, AlbertoE said:

Can it be changed ?

I personally do not see anything wrong with the foot going backwards and forwards?? when the needle and the front foot lifts, and goes forward, the back foot holds your work down?? then when the back foot lifts, your work is carried along with the needle, the front foot and the feed dog. Also the feed dog is usually smooth so no marks on your leather unless you do not protect the feet with a thin piece of leather glued on or something similar. 

I agree with jimi. I converted mine from a binder to a "conventional" machine and didn't have any issues with not having an oscillating feed dog.