Ryndunk

Hello from Michigan

Hi. New member here. I'm a chef in Ann Arbor MI. Been curious about leather work for a while. Came here to see if I can learn how to get started in this fascinating hobby. Like I said I am a chef so kitchen knives are an obsession of mine I am hoping I can learn to make some sheaths for my collection of blades. Traditionally Japanese knife sheaths(sayas) are made of wood but I have never much cared for them. Anyway, hoping I can learn where to find quality information, instruction, tools and materials. I've yet to do any leather work but am eager to learn. So any tips, advice, book or video recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks from a newbie.

Ryan

Make sure you join the Leather groups on Facebook, you will learn a lot, and YouTube has a lot of good videos.

Welcome to the forum.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, Ray3877 said:

Make sure you join the Leather groups on Facebook, you will learn a lot, and YouTube has a lot of good videos.

Any you tube channels in particular I should look for?

Welcome! There are a ton of good channels and you will find one rabbit hole after another on YouTube. Everyone has different taste and one style may fit you better than another. Rather than listing names just do a quick search.

There are a lot of helpful people on this site as well. Good luck! 

-Bryan

Tons of video s on you tube. It was hard to decide where to start. I did find a few that seem pretty helpful. Thanks

33 minutes ago, BentleyLeather said:

Welcome! There are a ton of good channels and you will find one rabbit hole after another on YouTube. Everyone has different taste and one style may fit you better than another. Rather than listing names just do a quick search.

There are a lot of helpful people on this site as well. Good luck! 

-Bryan

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dieselpunkro

https://www.facebook.com/Makers-Leather-Supply-236961589714049

These are my 2 favorites, both have patterns and Videos on Youtube and know how to teach.

You could start with a knife sheathe kit, they come with all the leather pre-cut and instructions. Grab a bottle of dye, wool dauber to apply the dye, a finishing solution, and you're all set! The kits are an easy and fun way to dip your toes into leathercrafting. You can even make a template out of the pieces (before you assemble them) so that you can recreate it from a blank hide in the future.