Laurajane

Help identifying dial on new sewing machine

Hi! I just received my new sewing machine and have spent the last few hours getting acquainted with it. I have read the manual but I can not find what this dial is for. Everything is pretty straight forward but this dial has me scratching my head. I have googled to no avail. Some machines seem to have it, others dont. So please can someone soothe my curiosity and explain what it is!

20200708_201745 (1).jpg

we do not know what brand or machine model you have but I´m pretty sure it is mentioned in the manual. Afaik it is for adjusting the foot height.

Edited by Constabulary

22 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

we do not know what brand or machine model you have but I´m pretty sure it is mentioned in the manual. Afaik it is for adjusting the foot height.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's a Eagle 1541s which I think is a replica Juki. Would the foot height adjustment be different than foot pressure? I have an old adler that only has half the knobs and dials this new one has lol. I guess I could have a play with said dial but dont want to mess up any settings. The diagram in the manual doesnt show that dial it just mentions a rubber bung which must be underneath it.  

20200708_205756.jpg

20200708_205802.jpg

20200708_210245.jpg

Edited by Laurajane
Added more images

26 minutes ago, Silky said:

Ah ha! Thankyou! That's brilliant! I shall have a play around with that tommorow! Thanks so much for letting me know. 

This dial adjusts the STEPPING height of the walking feet. If you are sewing material with constant thickness, you can keep is set low. It doesn't matter how thick, just that the thickness is consistent. If you are sewing a project that has large differences in thickness like sewing a seam with a thick strap or thick seam in the middle, you will want to set this dial to a higher value so the walking feet can step over the change in thickness in mid-seam. If you don't increase the step height, the walking foot will push the strap out of position or stop feeding the material at a thick seam. Think if it as shuffling your feet when you are walking or high stepping like you are marching or climbing stairs.

I have the Juki your machine is copied from. I don't have the dial (I wish it did), but can make the same adjustment by loosening a nut and moving a slide up or down on the back side of the machine. The dial allows you to change this adjustment 'on the fly' as you are sewing.

Congratulations on the new machine!