maxraygreen

Timing belt singer 108 w20 have to make it

Greetings to all.

Can someone please count the number of cogs or teeth in a 108w20 timing belt.

i may need a users manual as well.

I just acquired a singer 108w20 cylinder bed machine.  It was on a mattress binding table with gear driven advancing mechanism 

The timing belt is no longer made.  My plan is to obtain a cog belt for a singer 144 then cut to length.  Join it with some sort of super glue.  Then take a 4 inch piece of the cog belt, grind off cogs then sew it on belt at the splice point.

I have tried for a week to find a belt.

My other hope is to know the number of cogs then find a belt that might be too wide and slice it down 

Thanks ray

Hey Ray,

It has 35 teeth & here's a manual.

108u20.pdf

Edited by CowboyBob

College Sewing in the UK once had Singer 108 timing belts but seems they are sold (parts # 224513) but I would check with them if you cant find them in the US.

Maybe you are interested in how I set up my Singer 108w20.

I haven linked a parts list and a manual with instructions for replacing the timing belt in the 1st post:

38 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

College Sewing in the UK once had Singer 108 timing belts but seems they are sold (parts # 224513) but I would check with them if you cant find them in the US.

Maybe you are interested in how I set up my Singer 108w20.

I haven linked a parts list and a manual with instructions for replacing the timing belt in the 1st post:

I checked with 2 different suppliers of parts here & they both say they are discontinued!

Thanks for responses, college says no.

This site seems to be the only place on the net with user info on this machine.  I could not download the user manual from here until I joined. Got it now.

I do have an extra table, motor, stand that i can use.  First I have to make timing belt.

Now to find belt length or cog count is a better measurement.

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Hey Ray,

It has 35 teeth & here's a manual.

108u20.pdf

Thanks very much

My counts indicates 20.5 inch long and 35 teeth.  Now to find one.

In searching I found this.  Length and teeth are correct, wonder about wideth.

Screenshot_20200708-113614_Chrome.jpg

I have a 108w20, 143w2 (not 144w) and 107w1 - all have 35 teeth and the teeth are ~17mm wide and ~5.8 - 6mm long on all 3 belts. The spacing between the teeth on the 107w and 143w is  10.1 -10-2mm. I cannot take measures on the bottom side on the 108w ATM cause it is mounted to a table but when I measure on the top side of the upper pulley it seems to be 9.9mm - thats quite close but I cannot evaluate the amount of wear cause all machine have different degrees of wear. I think when the belts where equal they would have the same parts number.

I´m pretty sure the 144w belt is wider, I guess like then111 type belts. approx 22mm

BTW - in a German sewing machine Forum a guy installed on a 307G2 a new "industrial standard" upper and lower pulley (but he modified pulley bore) and a new timing belt maybe worth playing with this idea

Edited by Constabulary

Mc Master Carr sells timing belts by the foot, if that helps.

Dave