Sign in to follow this  
ivan7342

Help with this painting style

Hello guys, been away for quite a while... now trying to get into leather crafting again,

I came across these leather guitar straps, I really like the technique, it looks like relic wood,

Any idea on the process and materials that could be used to achieve a similar effect?

With my limited experience, it would look like no alcohol based dyes were used, maybe water based ones or acrylic paint? a base color, then another color on top of it an then some sanding?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!!

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 4.png

G'Day, 

Looks like the 'grain'  has been scored or sanded, before dying or maybe using  a wire brush . As for the colour, I have done something similar, using a red base dye, with an ' brandy' antique over the top and I got  a similar result. It was on a knife pouch, it came out a bit ' streaky'looking , a bit ' wood grain-ish '  so I left it. I hand stitched it  for a more authentic look . Didn't take long to sell it :) 

Not sure what colours were used for the others, perhaps  a white base dye with a turquoise or green mix dye over the top ? 

They do like quite effective though . Try experimenting on some scraps , no harm in trying and learning :) 

HS

Thanks for the answer!

I been trying today, made a few advances but I'm far from satisfied with the results,

Got a piece that with some improvement I think I could apply it in the things I do, going to work a bit more on that direction.

Cheers!