scrapyarddog

Attaché test piece based on Philip Jury's course

I haven't finished it and might not since it's a test piece and I was only using it to figure out the construction and procedures shown in Philip's courses. However, this piece was enough to get me actual orders, so it did its job and more.

If the photo were of higher quality, you'd be able to see the mistakes I made on stitching and other things. It's surprisingly easy to make, but like many simple pieces, you need to have good mastery of the basic skills.

The quilted padding I did by hand this time and it took about 10 hours (3.38 mm KS Blade round dent). Call me a sell out, but I'm using a sewing machine for that in the future.

Sedgwick Dark Havana, locks from MMC Colombo (Abas), Fil Au Chinois 532 and 632, KS 3.85 pricking iron (regular and inverse) and 3.38 round dent.

Attache 01.jpeg

Attache 02.jpeg

Attache 03.jpeg

Attache 04.jpeg

Beautiful work! Nothing wrong with using a sewing machine where appropriate. What is the lining, if I may ask?

This is great work!  Also something I've really been wanting to do for some time.  I presume there is a wooden frame, and the lining is glued in?  How much does the end item weigh?

YinTx

Excellent looking briefcase, well done, the kind you see filled with wads o cash ;) So i take it it is mitre/box stitched??

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

Beautiful work! Nothing wrong with using a sewing machine where appropriate. What is the lining, if I may ask?

Hey thanks! It's appropriate as I can't tell clients I have to charge them $300-$500 just for the quilt. At least, I doubt they'll pay for that.

It's goat suede. I don't like pig suede.

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

This is great work!  Also something I've really been wanting to do for some time.  I presume there is a wooden frame, and the lining is glued in?  How much does the end item weigh?

YinTx

If you're making a case in which the leather is more for cosmetics (wrapped on frame), check out a video on Youtube showing how Swaine Adeney Brigg makes theirs and also the one from Equus. The frame for this one is MDF and the leather is 6-7 oz bridle, but I'm pretty sure I can use steel or aluminum sheets/plates instead of MDF. Alternatively, Philip's courses are worth the subscription cost.

Lining is glued.

No idea about weight, but I'm curious too. Will let you know.

Edited by scrapyarddog

2 hours ago, jimi said:

Excellent looking briefcase, well done, the kind you see filled with wads o cash ;) So i take it it is mitre/box stitched??

Aw, excellent is you being nice. It's got plenty of issues.

Funny how many people's comment upon first seeing this is ... drug dealer's money case.

Not mitered but yes, box stitched.

On 7/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, YinTx said:

YinTx

4 lb.