BDAZ

Cowboy 3200 Foot tension problem.

I have had my 3200 for 6 years or so and I have never had any issues. Recently I had a custom order for a piece that consists of two pieces of 6oz leather laminated with pig skin suede lining on both pieces. I have to stitch the perimeter then the flap which is a single side and then back to the top and bottom.  The "flap" is stitched suede down and I have insufficient grip on the piece and the piece slips and the stitch goes awry. The suede is quite slick. I would like to lower the foot so it is touching the base (not sure what the word is) to get maximum grip on the piece. I have cranked down the tension spring on the foot. The beauty of the Cowboy  is that i can pull a few inches of stitches and restitch exactly in the original holes.

Suggestions?

In addition any one have a way of minimizing a couple of rogue needle holes?

Bob

I iam imagining your machine is the same as the Singer 45k so If you want your foot to come down on the needle plate when you lower the bar down you need to take of the face plate, lower the bar then loosen the screw/s on the bar where the spring rests, then once resting on the plate tighten again. Make sure you don´t tighten it up again with you foot squint otherwise your needle will hit it.

6 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I have had my 3200 for 6 years or so and I have never had any issues. Recently I had a custom order for a piece that consists of two pieces of 6oz leather laminated with pig skin suede lining on both pieces. I have to stitch the perimeter then the flap which is a single side and then back to the top and bottom.  The "flap" is stitched suede down and I have insufficient grip on the piece and the piece slips and the stitch goes awry. The suede is quite slick. I would like to lower the foot so it is touching the base (not sure what the word is) to get maximum grip on the piece. I have cranked down the tension spring on the foot. The beauty of the Cowboy  is that i can pull a few inches of stitches and restitch exactly in the original holes.

Suggestions?

In addition any one have a way of minimizing a couple of rogue needle holes?

Bob

Do you have enough slack in to foot lift chain?

About an inch when the foot is lowered.

Bob

5 hours ago, jimi said:

I iam imagining your machine is the same as the Singer 45k so If you want your foot to come down on the needle plate when you lower the bar down you need to take of the face plate, lower the bar then loosen the screw/s on the bar where the spring rests, then once resting on the plate tighten again. Make sure you don´t tighten it up again with you foot squint otherwise your needle will hit it.

Not the same. The foot is in a fixed position, held with a screw.

cb3200.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by BDAZ

oohps i thought it was the other machine:whistle:

15 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Do you have enough slack in to foot lift chain?

That was a good lead. I discovered the problem was the presser foot was getting stuck and wasn't descending all the way. Just enough to cause the work to slip but not every time. I took apart the "Front End" and discovered some of the parts were rough. No rust here in Tucson, but seemed to more gummed up with dried oil. I ran a few of the parts on the buffer and got them factory smooth and reassembled everything, many, many , many times. I finally realized it was the foot pedal mechanism binding and since it has always been nearly impossible to use I never actually  used it in the 6 years I have owned the machine. I just disconnected it, reassembling a few more times getting the adjustments right and all seems fine.

I am not sure if I need to have the presser foot directly on the base or a bit above. I 'll do some sewing tests tomorrow, when my patience has returned.

I now have a much better idea of how all the stuff under the front cover works  and I'll be more effective with my oiler  in future.

Bob