bcraig

Making holsters ,what weight Maul for use with Diamond Stitching Chisels

I am going to be Making Myself a few Holsters using Diamond Stitching Chisels(approx 5mm) But have no Idea what weight of Maul or Hammer I should use to drive the Diamond Stitching Chisels through 2 pieces 9-10 Ounce Veg tan leather?

Also Do you prefer for it to be the plastic/rubber type of head ?

Looking to buy inexpensive 

I use a 14 oz poly mallet as shown in the link below for punching slots and holes and one of the smaller versions of the same thing for tooling. I use a maul I picked up from Weaver for my makers stamp which is fairly large at roughly 1" x 1-1/2". I prefer a mallet for most things but that's what I mostly use, someone who uses a maul more often would likely prefer them, just whatever you get used to I imagine. 

I have had good experiences with the poly mallets. They last for years are relatively cheap. The ones from SLC in the link below are made in the USA. 

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Mallet-Poly-14oz

Good luck with your projects. 

Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman

Just don't use a metal head hammer! I've been using a rawhide mallet so far going thru 2 layers 8-9 oz veg tan for knife sheaths. No issues. It takes a couple of whacks. 

Hi, which weight of Rawhide mallet did you get?  I have a decent sized poly that is worn such that there are no weight marking on it.  I'd like a heavier mallet for 3D stamps, belt end cutters, and hole punching.

Thanks

Mike

I was Piddling around in an old Junky trailer I Jokingly call The Shop and found a 2 pound engineers Hammer Bought from Harbor Freight .
I wonder if I Glued A layer or two of scrap 9-10 Veg tan to the steel Head if that would be ok to use with Diamond Stitching Chisels ?

I would be using a piece of scrap 9-10 Veg tan between the holster and either a plastic Kitchen cutting board or a piece of plywood.

If the consensus is that would work ok then I will do that,if not I will buy either a Poly Hammer or a a Poly Maul.