Rylando

Tape measure holder clip

Any suggestions on a supplier for tape measure holding clips? I know another member of the forum sells them for $7ish a piece, which is fine for one offs but I'm looking for the bulk sellers. Does everyone get theirs made overseas? Seems like this clip could be for something else instead of just tape measure holders.

Never found a good source, but frankly it would be cheaper than $7 plus shipping to just buy the ready made belt tape measure holders and take the clip off thats what I have done for the ones I need.

Todd

So far I've found this https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Tape-Clip_109487865.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.3a1d1ea3loqYB7

Which is a "D/C tape clamp" or a "Bare Copper Tape clip" which seems to be a attachment system for flat copper wire, however I can't find any in the USA, only Alibaba. 

But I am not looking for 1k+ of them right now lol

Edited by Rylando

just some thoughts...

im sure you have some home improvement stores or shops where they have equipment for construction?

have you looked at what types of belts/holster and such are out there with a clip you are looking for ?   If you examine the clip, you may find a stamp/makers mark and that may give you a lead of where to start or look for the mfg.

also, you say you want bulk, but dont want 1k of them?   imo, you may want to figure out how many you want and be willing to pay.  have you contacted the seller with the 7 buck versions and asked about "bulk" quantities - whatever that number is to you?  YOu maybe able to negotiate some lower price where both of you are happy.

Also, im not sure what type of metal stampings places you have where you live, but have you checked with any of them?  Many shops have websites now adays and if you look at some, they may show something that is made or maybe something similar.   

last comment.  Im not sure what your endgame is for the clips, but you maybe able to fabricate your own.  It will require more work on your part, but once you buy the equipment and figure out the forming/drilling process making them will be easy.  You could buy a manual press something like a bushing press or something as heavy duty as some type of hand pump hydraulic press.

3 hours ago, $$hobby said:

just some thoughts...

im sure you have some home improvement stores or shops where they have equipment for construction?

have you looked at what types of belts/holster and such are out there with a clip you are looking for ?   If you examine the clip, you may find a stamp/makers mark and that may give you a lead of where to start or look for the mfg.

also, you say you want bulk, but dont want 1k of them?   imo, you may want to figure out how many you want and be willing to pay.  have you contacted the seller with the 7 buck versions and asked about "bulk" quantities - whatever that number is to you?  YOu maybe able to negotiate some lower price where both of you are happy.

Also, im not sure what type of metal stampings places you have where you live, but have you checked with any of them?  Many shops have websites now adays and if you look at some, they may show something that is made or maybe something similar.   

last comment.  Im not sure what your endgame is for the clips, but you maybe able to fabricate your own.  It will require more work on your part, but once you buy the equipment and figure out the forming/drilling process making them will be easy.  You could buy a manual press something like a bushing press or something as heavy duty as some type of hand pump hydraulic press.

I appreciate your thoughts!  I may have to contact them. I talked to the only other supplier of these linked in a past thread, aplus I think they're called. They do not carry them anymore, unless you want to order 5,000 pieces or more.

Sent some emails out today to local sheet metal fab shops to see about getting some made, but most around me make big agricultural items so I am kinda doubting they'll be interested in small potatoes but we will see! May have to learn to make some myself in the mean time. 

I think more than anything it's bugging me that I can't find these anywhere, LOL! Seems like it must have another name than a "tape measure holder", used in another industry or something. Seems like it'd be next to the $2 holster belt clips at Tandy, but alas no.

Edited by Rylando

23 hours ago, Rylando said:

I appreciate your thoughts!  I may have to contact them. I talked to the only other supplier of these linked in a past thread, aplus I think they're called. They do not carry them anymore, unless you want to order 5,000 pieces or more.

Sent some emails out today to local sheet metal fab shops to see about getting some made, but most around me make big agricultural items so I am kinda doubting they'll be interested in small potatoes but we will see! May have to learn to make some myself in the mean time. 

I think more than anything it's bugging me that I can't find these anywhere, LOL! Seems like it must have another name than a "tape measure holder", used in another industry or something. Seems like it'd be next to the $2 holster belt clips at Tandy, but alas no.

Im sure alot of stuff like that is made outside of the USA.  As you may know, that country can make things fast and cheap.  ITs what they like to do.  Make billions/millions of something and keep on making it.  

YOu may want to look at making some yourself.  you can get like a bearing press either manual or hydraulic hand pump and see what you think.  Then if you can work out the bugs, you maybe able to make some to sell youself.

Also, with the world being more global now and the USA also, you may want to look outside of your area.  Everyone is connected now and if you arent, you are missing out on some business. So if alot of the shops are ag focused, i would look elseware.

Especially with COVID going on now, there maybe companies/shopss going under and if they are slow, they maybe willing to work with you.  I know the owner of a local fab shop that was fixing an old singer cast iron sewing table frame.  It was so slow and he wanted to keep his employees busy even with that small project.  He wanst making $$ of it, but he was keeping his employees busy!

fyi, there are some online prototypers.  iirc, you can submit a 3d CAD model (or they will have their staff draw it for you), but they will make for you.   They will also put it on their website for sale and you get some credit for each sold.  They did jewelry and so forth.  But to me, its really cool to have that capability.  If you can draw it up, have someone make it and its sold by the piece to whoever wants one.  no machines to invest in or materials.

but depending on how many you want for your project, it maybe better to make your own.

Edited by $$hobby

I'm with @$$hobby -- sketch one out and message people who offer fabrication services. It's not a complex part. Consider anyone in your local area who does welding, forging, vehicle repairs or machining in your area, especially as a hobby or side gig.

What sort of quantity are you after? A dozen wouldn't be difficult or take long to fab up yourself, even with basic tools. Get a strip of the right size and type of steel. Cut billets to length with a saw or shear. Use a template or jig to mark holes with a centre punch then drill through. Remove any burrs with a file or a kiss of the belt sander. The trickiest bit would be the cranked bends, as they're pretty close to each other. You can get bending tools that fit in a bench vice, though they might need a little modification due to the closeness of the bends. For more than a dozen clips I would make a simple bending die for one of my presses. Lots of ways to do that, especially if you can do simple welds (or know someone who can).

Is there an off-the-shelf part you could use instead for the same job? What about a footman loop, or maybe you could modify a strip-formed belt loop?

find a sheet metal shop in your area,  most hvac companies have a shop in the back

buy a 8' long strip of duct hanger strap 1'' wide

go to a welding shop,  you want a piece of 1/4'' flat bar 4'' long

you also want a 1/4'' flat bar 2'' wide x 4'' long

either.  drilll bolt the 1'' onto the 2''

or. weld the 1'' to the 2''  make a jig

cut a strip of the strap 3'' long, set it on your  jig

beat it with a hammer. 

now you have a clip  

sway.png

On 7/23/2020 at 6:24 PM, Frodo said:

find a sheet metal shop in your area,  most hvac companies have a shop in the back

buy a 8' long strip of duct hanger strap 1'' wide

go to a welding shop,  you want a piece of 1/4'' flat bar 4'' long

you also want a 1/4'' flat bar 2'' wide x 4'' long

either.  drilll bolt the 1'' onto the 2''

or. weld the 1'' to the 2''  make a jig

cut a strip of the strap 3'' long, set it on your  jig

beat it with a hammer. 

now you have a clip  

sway.png

you could also have a couple bars on each side on another mating part and make a "mold" too.  that way you can use a press to stamp out the part.

Hey @Rylando I'm the guy with them for $7. Open to wholesale with you if you want to chat about it... we can probably work something out. Shoot me an email at josh@holstery.com.

These guys are right, it's not a complex part but you won't likely find anything off the shelf that works well. They're really thin and chromed steel usually. That's why mine is custom made 304SS and thick.

Edited by joshhartung

On 7/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, Rylando said:

So far I've found this https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Tape-Clip_109487865.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.3a1d1ea3loqYB7

Which is a "D/C tape clamp" or a "Bare Copper Tape clip" which seems to be a attachment system for flat copper wire, however I can't find any in the USA, only Alibaba. 

But I am not looking for 1k+ of them right now lol

click that link,  then click on   "Get latest price"  

then submit the number you want in the drop down, 

He will make you 50 of them at $2.00 each  Just ASK

I found the clips you want for  $0.80 each   for 50    USD each  [40us for 50] 

pm for info