Fazak

Alcohol burner

Hi Everyone :)!

This is my first post as I'm new to leatherwork.

I'm based in Liverpool, UK

Can I use  an electric heat gun  instead of an alcohol lamp to heat a creaser?

I cant find an alcohol lamp for sale and the DIY stores in IK don't sell alcohol.

Many Thanks

Rory

Hei mate you may find a heat gun dosnt heat the tool up enough I’m based at rainford near St Helens your welcome to stop by my shop and I’ll help you all I can 

regards 

Tony 

custom Race Tack 

40 minutes ago, Fazak said:

Hi Everyone :)!

This is my first post as I'm new to leatherwork.

I'm based in Liverpool, UK

Can I use  an electric heat gun  instead of an alcohol lamp to heat a creaser?

I cant find an alcohol lamp for sale and the DIY stores in IK don't sell alcohol.

Many Thanks

Rory

Check Amazon for 'spirit lamp' or 'alcohol lamp' and try a hardware shop for methylated spirit or a chemist for surgical spirit.

Gary

Edited by gary
Corrected autocorrect

Hi here's link as Gary has said try a chemist for surgical spirit. Myself i just use a camping gas burner.

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/product-page/spirit-lamp

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/product-page/spirit-lamp-spare-wick

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Hi

Many thanks everyone! 

Rory

A spirit (alcohol) burner is traditional, and a small camping stove would also do the job, though I think there is a danger that the gas stove might get the creaser too hot

Have a look at YouTube videos by JH Leather. she uses an electric hotplate to heat the creaser 

7 minutes ago, zuludog said:

A spirit (alcohol) burner is traditional, and a small camping stove would also do the job, though I think there is a danger that the gas stove might get the creaser too hot

Have a look at YouTube videos by JH Leather. she uses an electric hotplate to heat the creaser 

Yes it can but it does not matter what you use that can still happen, you get to know how long to keep it on the heat until recently i was using a blowtorch same deal just took less time to get it to the required heat i wanted, just get to know how long to keep under the flame if i think it is to hot I just wait around ten seconds and its fine.

Hope this helps 

JCUK

Probably a heat gun is the answer. With a spirit lamp you can get the creaser so hot that it will melt.

Edited by Hardrada

Depends of the quality of your creaser been using a blowtorch for 25 years until recently still good as new.

14 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Depends of the quality of your creaser been using a blowtorch for 25 years until recently still good as new.

Well, it was the one from Tandy, so I guess that sums it up.

I used to use a Bic lighter but I had to wipe the soot off with a heavy cloth before applying it to the leather. Quite a pain, which is why I got the spirit lamp, which I also use to heat up my brass stamps now (I used to use an iron upside down and place the stamps on it for ~40 seconds). I ordered another Tandy creaser and still use the spirit lamp, but I'm extra careful now that it only stays no more than 15 seconds under the flame (that one time I left it there for close to a minute or more: can't remember—all I remember is that I heard dripping and when I looked I saw big drops of melted steel dripping onto the lamp).

Edited by Hardrada

Try something along this line, mine was cheaper don't even know what make it is but a bonus for me its left handed

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/product-page/screw-crease

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk