Leatherchon112

Why would someone want a manual sewing machine?

Why would someone want a manual sewing machine, outside of using at venues that have no electricity, or maybe your a member of the Amish community. Besides those two reasons why would someone want one?

referring to the tippman, cowboy outlaw and the Weaver Manual sewing machine. 

There can be a number of reasons, as mentioned lack of electricity for somebody doing mobile repairs, etc.  Cost is a big reason too.  I'd add to the list space - manual machines are generally smaller and lighter.  I'd add noise they are relatively quiet with less noticeable vibration.  I'd add control / speed - they just aren't going to run away from you as a motorized machine might.  I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

- Bill

I wonder if intimidation and perceived uncontrolability is a factor. I know two people who have been scared off sewing machines by uncontrollable ones at school. I put my hand-crank Singer 99 in front of them and challenged them to make it run away with them. After that the conversion to either a modern domestic or an industrial with a digital servo was a breeze.

Also, manual sewing machines are a significant step up from hand sewing, especially if the person is not exactly the best/fastest hand sewer in the world. If they can sew a half an inch per minute by hand a belt is going to take 2-3 hours. Even a one armed bandit is going to half that or better. For a lot of hobbyists and even some small businesses that's plenty fast enough -- the fact a properly motorised industrial could do it in a minute isn't here nor there. A manual machine is also easier on the hands for those with mobility and grip issues.

There's also the size/space/square footage issue. Here in the UK 99% of motorised industrial machines come on full size industrial tables 18x36". That's a significant chunk of real estate for most of us, who are often operating from living rooms, spare (small) bedrooms, pokey garden sheds, undersized garages etc. A manual machine is smaller and can be put away when not in use.

8 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I wonder if intimidation and perceived uncontrolability is a factor. . . .
. . .

yes

8 minutes ago, Matt S said:

. . .
. . . For a lot of hobbyists and even some small businesses that's plenty fast enough -- the fact a properly motorised industrial could do it in a minute isn't here nor there. A manual machine is also easier on the hands for those with mobility and grip issues.
. . .

yes

As a 100% hand-stitcher, I don't know why anyone would want a machine of any kind. :lol:

@fredk, Assuming you're speaking from experience, what would be your elevator pitch, so to speak, for someone intending to buy a manual? I haven't come across too many testimonials as to their overall effectiveness or consumer satisfaction.

Respectfully,

- Jack

I'll think about that and maybe give an answer in a couple days time.

I'm off very shortly and won't be back until late Saturday evening

Sounds good, all I got is time. Appreciate the reply and enjoy your long weekend!

For me, it's ease of use, ultimate control, affordability, and vintage.

I have a couple of old Singer sewing machines - one is a Singer 66 which is perfect for everything from guitar straps, wallets, purses, and a ton of other stuff. The Hand crank works wonders at slow turns etc. I also use them for stitching around belt slots is some of my holsters. My Holsters and Sheaths are hand-stitched by the way in case you are wondering. The 66 has a hand crank and I can swap out a small motor if needed - like when I have an order for ten guitar straps or something. Plus the other Singer is a treadle machine and it punches through some really thick stuff!

I bought one of those Chinese shoe patchers (also hand-cranked) to play with and it's fun, it works - but I limit it to repairing old saddle and tack items where I'm just looking for a thicker thread and more punching power. In these cases, the tack is pretty old or weathered and the customer does not care about "teeth" marks etc. They just want their headstall lining stitched back or something.

Following the tornadoes that hit Chattanooga on Easter this year I was without power for about a week. We had damage to the shop with some water coming in. I still managed to get out a whole bunch of orders by using my hand-cranked machines. What slowed my wife and I down was clearing the yard, repairing some fences, the shop roof, and helping neighbors etc.

Lastly, my shop is limited on outlets at the time and during the summer months I'd rather have AC - if I get too many things going I pop breakers. That's the project for this fall - updating electricity to my outbuilding!!

fwiw,

in my cousins work clothing store she had an old singer treadle machine along with some other antiques.  It was used to hem pants/jeans and Carharts.  If you are not aware of Carharts, they were heavy canvas work clothes.  So going over the seam most machines would stop, but the treadle could skip and continue.  Some of the heavy work jeans also had alot of material on the seams.

She also had another one at home that was used.  I wanted that machine for some of my sewing projects, but it wasnt available back then.

we are becoming more and more dependent on the internet and electricity...just wait for you to loose both and see what will happen..

Edited by $$hobby

I opted for my tippmann over a powered swing machine for numerous reason. it is quieter than a powered machine, can easily sew over 3/4 of an inch of leather ( i have personally sewn a 1 inch piece for a custom holster, long story on that. i sewed 5 stitches before i got nervous and stopped then drilled the rest of the holes on that part and hand stitched). portability, control ( i control how fast or slow i want with no real limits), price wasn't not a real issue as by the time i was done at tippmann i had spent right at 2200.00 us for it all. overall i am happy with my hand crank machine and its a nice retro look in my shop. another reason is i am only a couple hours from tippmann. so i was able to go pick it up and even seen them testing out my machine and actually got to take a trial run with my tippmann before they boxed it all up and they even helped my load it and the cobbler bench i bought or it. they were polite and treated my very well while i was there. I like that they treated my like i was a person up there taking the time to answer the few questions i had, showing me around the place a little bit. my only real complaint about my tippmann is that on some light leather projects will tear them up. but that is my fault. i have it set to sew holsters and thick leather projects, and i do not want to take the time to set it up for lighter leather that i can hand sew easily. eventually i will get a sailrite to do my light leather projects and garment leather.

Edited by Sturme

Better chance of hitting existing stitch marks on repairs it's not going to get away from you, i have three machines a singer 45k in storage somewhere never really got to grips with it lays down a nice stitch though. Also have a Tippmann Boss don't really use it much can be mare at times but once you have set up right it also lays down a nice stitch have used it for control of the above said hitting existing holes reason i don't use it much not a fan of bonded nylon thread believe some do run polyester thread through them not tried it myself. The third machine i have, i got from a member here  Constabulary his great restoration of the DVSG/Pearson no6 this machine is the one i should have got years ago when i had the chance  and yes i know all three machine are built to handle heavier work. Thats why when times times get a bit better for everyone the Tippmann Boss maybe for sale in the near future. As its not for sale just yet hope i have not broke rules of the site.

And i am also a big fan of hand stitched work most of my work is hand stitched but a few jobs are tedious and you can't charge a the hourly rate for them because customers can just buy new cheaper hence the need for a machine for certain things. One job used to take me anything between 11/2  to 2 hours even with a manual its around a 1/3 of the time now and what the job is makes no sense doing it by hand nobody really would notice or care its hand stitch or not.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend, 

There's a lot of great information here so thanks guys. The big selling points for me were:

The noise reduction (I pretty much only get my hobby time in when my 2yo gets to bed)

Whitaker's comment on outlet availability and breaker troubles (which until I get a new place, hopefully by next summer, that's something I'll have to deal with)

Sturme's idea for setting up with the two separate machines for heavy & light duty work, and it wouldn't be as cost prohibitive as powered machines

And I'm sure the more I work with one, the more I'll realize the other benefits mentioned in the thread.