spurdude101

CB4500 inline presser foot skipping stitches

Bought the inline presser foot for the CB4500. I use it with the raised holster plate so I have good contact. It works very well on leather up to about 12 oz. But on thicker projects it starts to skip stitches every 5 or 6  stitches. Anyone have an idea on why?

2 hours ago, spurdude101 said:

Bought the inline presser foot for the CB4500. I use it with the raised holster plate so I have good contact. It works very well on leather up to about 12 oz. But on thicker projects it starts to skip stitches every 5 or 6  stitches. Anyone have an idea on why?

This could be due to the leather lifting with the needle. Watch the leather as you sew and see if this is what's happening on the upstroke. If so, you're going to have to increase the needle by one size or add more foot pressure to hold down the leather. The overlapped thread knot presents a lot of mass to get pulled up in the needle hole. A larger hole reduces the force needed to bring the knots up.

If increasing the needle size and/or foot pressure doesn't solve the skipped stitches, the check spring throw might need tweaking. Try lowering the stop bracket under the spring so it travels further down.

A marginally damaged needle point might also cause skipped stitches, so replace it just in case.

BTW, have you tried using the low plate with the narrow slot? That reduces the height you have to deal with and may eliminate the problem completely. That's my go to throat plate for difficult jobs when the feed dog is removed. I only use the holster or stirrup plate if I have to clear a formed shape that drops down close to the left edge and would make hard contact with the standard throat plate or the nose of the machine or the end cover plate. I actually ground and sanded off a bit of steel from the left side of my flat slotted throat plate to clear drop shapes better.

Thanks Wiz, I haven't seen the leather rise up. Seems to have good pressure. I'm using 277 thread with the needle Bob sent for that thread. I use the larger holster plate so as not to have to remove the feed dog. I have tried a new needle. I have switched mid project back to the standard needle plate and pressure foot and continued to sew with no problems. The actual pressure foot has a long slot allowing for a slight adjustment downward. I may try to lower it an 1/8th to see if it helps. Thanks. Al