First of all, I'm new to leather living in Egypt and want to know more about tanning because the gossip here is sky high and everybody claims he's the best but when it comes to picking veg tan leather people get crazy fast

I have asked the biggest tannery here and they claimed that they do Vegetable tanning process within a day or so using a drum

Since am new to this area so I can't decide is that true or just a scam

Also, I'm suffering dealing with too supple leather even my edge beveler ( Not the best quality ) can go as the leather starts to get stretchy and wrinkly so if anyone can help me out i will appreciate it so much 

Adding to this, when I asked one of the workers in the tanneries he said that they press the leather in the finishing process and he correlated that it has to do with the firmness of the leather in the outcome .. Is that true ?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by MZKingAndQueen

It sounds like they are making Chrome tan leather which is used for clothing and furniture etc. Veg Tan takes weeks and some many months to tan

You can look at the process here from the UK's oldest tannery, and they are rated as one of the worlds best leather makers https://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/

Firstly, welcome to the forum   :)

9 hours ago, MZKingAndQueen said:

I have asked the biggest tannery here and they claimed that they do Vegetable tanning process within a day or so using a drum

I question that. Its a long process to produce quality veg tan leather, not something that can be done in a day .  

HS

8 hours ago, chrisash said:

It sounds like they are making Chrome tan leather which is used for clothing and furniture etc. Veg Tan takes weeks and some many months to tan

yes i agree with that but they refuse to tell me that also they claims that they don't use Chromium in that tanning process but also still in ONE DAY .. if you know other tanning process that can match that criteria i will appreciate it

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum   

Thanks for your greeting

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I question that. Its a long process to produce quality veg tan leather, not something that can be done in a day .  

yes i know that but the leather here are too supple and stretchy  that even the edge beveler can't work its way in it so when I start using the slicker the leather layers starts to mushroom outside and results in really awkward looking piece

This video may explain but i don't speak your language to understand what they are saying

9 hours ago, chrisash said:

This video may explain but i don't speak your language to understand what they are saying

I watched the video it's all about transplanting the old tanneries to a new place with more area to work with but nothing about what actually happening to the leather or the process .. but thanks for the effort:)

PS : I took this as a leather sample of what they claim is a Veg Tan .. That center line is normal to appear in veg tan leather ?

109889095_2722571234733141_1456120609602827320_n.jpg

Edited by MZKingAndQueen
adding a photo