SanLargo

Adler 30-1 help

Hello everyone,

I am new to forums and not sure if I am in the right spot. I obtained an Adler 30-1 sewing machine and am seeking help. Up to this point I have done all hand stitching with an awl and mostly enjoy making holsters and sheaths. My hope is to get this machine to save me some time and effort.The machine appears to work with some issue. Also am concerned about its limitations. I am sewing leather in the 6 oz. range and some maybe 7-8. About 3/16 thick. I have read some of your info about thread and needle sizes and to come close to the cord size of a stitching awl I would probably need to use #277 thread with a 25 needle. My concern is that this machine uses a small bobbin that has a small hole that I am not sure if this thread would be too large for. I have started working with #69 thread and 17 needle but was new to understanding thread sizes. So, I was hoping for someone that knows my machine would be able to provide info on the capability of this machine to obtain the task and look I am trying to obtain. Any help is greatly appreciated. Again I am new to posting on forms.

Thanks,

SanLargo

The Adler 30-1 is best limited to #92 bonded thread. Most would only use #69 thread due to its tiny bobbin. Use a #18 needle with #69 thread and a #19 or #20 needle for #92 thread. If you must use #138 thread, use a #23 needle and move the throat plate to the large hole position. You will probably only sew two or three items with #138 thread. You can't use heavier thread or a larger needle on this particular model.

I own the next model up; the Adler 30-7 and my good friend has a 30-70. I sew patches and repair purses with my Adler 30. It can sew up to 5 standard rifle slings or guitar straps with #138 thread in the bobbin. My model is heavier duty and can take up to a #24 needle and #207 thread, but that's pushing its limits.

I have had 29-4's and latter versions and a Adler 30-1.   The Adler is very close to the 29-4

with the addition of a eccentric adjustment in the base for hook timing.  The sweet spot is

69 or 92 thread. If the shuttle, hook and carrier have a lot of wear it may take 138.  You can buy 138 from Lu Thread and 

Bantam Saddle and Tack in small spools at good prices.  The only shoe patcher that will sew long stitches 1/4"

is Claes ($5m) and Chinese shoe patcher ($120) Both have almost 1/2 lift. A 1mm pc. of Teflon glued

to the foot will work wonders to stitching quality.  Good Luck  Lynn

Any idea what the extra tension spring is for under the main tension spring on an adler 30-1. I bought my 30-1 and had a local repair guy come out and order this lower tension spring for my machine. It was $102 from Adler America and i dont use it. Any thoughts? Thanks

Edited by GavinStPaul
typo, my machine is a 30-1, not a 30-7

30 minutes ago, GavinStPaul said:

Any idea what the extra tension spring is for under the main tension spring on an adler 30-1. I bought my 30-1 and had a local repair guy come out and order this lower tension spring for my machine. It was $102 from Adler America and i dont use it. Any thoughts? Thanks

post pictures please - not sure what you mean

Screenshot_20200721-015636_Gallery.jpg

Sorry, I tried to post before but the file was over 500mb. I found that if I took a screenshot of the photo in my phones gallery, the file was only 1mb. Thanks

I don´t know what I see there but not matter what it is there is "something" that does not belong on this tension. On this threaded post belong 2 tension disc, a beehive spring and a nut, but nothing else. Just check other Adler 30 pictures.

BTW - do you have a manual for your machine? Checking a manual is always a god idea.

Here's another pic. I can't find a manual in English. The repair guy had a print out from Adler's American subsidiary with the part numbers listed. This was the part which correlated to the number. I reviewed some photos of the 30-1 and noticed none of the threading patterns included this tension spring. So i re-threaded the machine, skipping the extra spring, and after tightening the bobbin spring it sews beautifully.

Screenshot_20200721-030533_Gallery.jpg

There's the beehive spring and 2 tension discs

Screenshot_20200721-031306_Gallery.jpg

I probably got you wrong...   ;) That tension unit if for darning (requires and extra device) or sewing waxed or heavy thread, some are using it as guide when winding the bobbing (so do I). The new Adler 30 no longer have this tension unit.

You can download a manual for the later Adler 30 here: http://www.bootmaker.com/adlernew.pdf

This is a download link for a parts list:   Adler 30 parts list

Edited by Constabulary

You are amazing

That Tension setup looks very similar the the one Adler Aust. fitted to the Face Plate on my 105, it cost me nearly 200 bucks from memory. It has a heavy duty Bee Hive spring in it.

Bert.

14 minutes ago, Bert51 said:

That Tension setup looks very similar the the one Adler Aust. fitted to the Face Plate on my 105, it cost me nearly 200 bucks from memory. It has a heavy duty Bee Hive spring in it.

Bert.

You did not pay 200 for installing this tension unit - did you? It is pretty much is the same (if not the same) you find on 29K, Adler 30, singer 45K, GA5-1, Adler 4, 5 ,104, 105.... Tension springs may vary but they are rather cheap.

Thanks to all who have replied. I have dug deeper into the forms and gathered great info. I understand the limitations of my Adler now and am currently sewing with #69 thread and my eventually max at 138. As I said I am all new to machine sewing. My machine seems to work fine although I am experiencing som stitching issues and hope some can help. I have attached a photo of what it is doing. Is a bobbin tension issue or something else. Any help appreciated.

SanLargo

42AFAB5B-EB84-402B-81C1-7BDC4A6723B6.jpeg

If the two photos on the right are the top side, either your top thread is jammed somewhere or the bobbin thread has come out of its position under the bobbin tension spring.

Thanks Wizcrafts. Dumb question, but the loose lope is my top thread right. I’ll check later but it seems that when I look at bobbin thread it appears still be in correct position with thread Still coming thru small hole in shuttle. I was think perhaps spring not tight enough or worn out.

14 hours ago, GavinStPaul said:

I tried to post before but the file was over 500mb

This link and following posts provide several methods as to resizing your photos to fit the constraints of this site.  Have a look through and see which methods suit you best.

Tom

On 7/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, SanLargo said:

Thanks to all who have replied. I have dug deeper into the forms and gathered great info. I understand the limitations of my Adler now and am currently sewing with #69 thread and my eventually max at 138. As I said I am all new to machine sewing. My machine seems to work fine although I am experiencing som stitching issues and hope some can help. I have attached a photo of what it is doing. Is a bobbin tension issue or something else. Any help appreciated.

SanLargo

42AFAB5B-EB84-402B-81C1-7BDC4A6723B6.jpeg

I had a similar issue with my 30-1 pictured above. I guess my bobbin spring was worn bc I had to tighten it all the way to keep the bobbin thread from pulling through my work piece. I had the same loops you do as well. I adjusted my upper thread tension, sometimes just a millimeter turn at a time, to get the loops to stop forming. Its sewing very well now.

Remove the screw and bend the bobbin tension spring down a bit. Reinstall and tighten to tension the thread. Order replacement springs.

To you Wizcrafts I thank you. I changed out bobbin with different shuttle and am stitching much better. Could not see the difference in tension springs to the naked eye but got me a good stitch. I know you have an Adler and was wondering where best place to find replacement springs for small Adler 30-1 model bobbins. 

21 minutes ago, SanLargo said:

To you Wizcrafts I thank you. I changed out bobbin with different shuttle and am stitching much better. Could not see the difference in tension springs to the naked eye but got me a good stitch. I know you have an Adler and was wondering where best place to find replacement springs for small Adler 30-1 model bobbins. 

I order Singer 29k replacement springs for both large and small shuttles. They fit! In  fact, I buy Singer replacement shuttles and bobbins. The Adler 30 series was a high lift clone of the Singer patchers. The longer needles, higher lift and slightly longer stitch length are the main differences I find between my 30-7 and my previous Singer 29k172.