ScottEnglish

Wet moulding 9 oz or 10 oz leather

I want to try wet moulding 9 oz or 10 oz leather. Anybody here have experience of doing this? If so, what have you made? I'm seeking an understanding of the possibilities and limitations of leatherwork in this area.

Ta.

Scott

In metric, ( I'm  in  Australia  :))  thats about 3.5 - 4mm?  I've moulded that thickness for knife cases, sheaths  etc. regularly .  I mainly use the tried & tested...and trusted  ' Al Stohlman' method , for around 15 years. 

Against the ' norm', I soak the piece of leather in water for about an hour, maybe two,  grain side down. You'll see and hear the air bubbles coming out.  Its then  pliable like clay. I choose a template, a leatherman knife case for example,  and use a pin board , a piece of pine off-cut , or something soft enough for the  panel pins to go through and carefully mould & pin the leather around the template,and keeping all the  panel pins in line , and  adequate  spacing from the edge of the template, so when its stitched, machine or  by hand, the stitching hides all the pin holes. 

However, I don't use a ' bone folder' , I use a 3mm thick   'O' ring or a  3 x50mm square ring to mould it. The ' roundness' of the rings and  and the corners of the square rings are ideal. With that thickness, it does take a bit of ' elbow grease' . I have done thicker, around 5mm. You'll have an arm like 'Arnies'  by the time you've finished. 

I put the case out in the sun  or near a wood stove to dry out. ( you can cheat a bit by using a hair dryer for about 10mins or so, and then put it out in the sun or near a wood stove to speed things up........but I never told you that :)

Been doing that for 15 years.   

Thats my method, others on here will have a different take & a different  method. I just do what works  ...and it works just fine ....for me :):)

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I've molded phone cases, knife sheaths and gun holsters (pistols, rifle) using Stohlman's methods as described above, but  use a bone folder for sheaths.  I soak only for less than a minute in warm water, then let case an hour or so for sheaths.  For  holsters I stick the gun in a few minutes after setting then shape with fingers.  Leather weights are from 6-9 oz.  -- John

I made an envelope from some thick vinyl . . . hooked up a vacuum pump . . . I slip the holster with the gun in it on a plastic cutting board . . . slide it in the bag . . . turn on the pump . . . and watch the magic.

Depending on how detailed I want it . . . sometimes I'll turn off the pump . . . let air back in the bag . . . reposition the holster or sheath or case . . . hit the pump again and mold it while it is in the vinyl bag.

I get what I believe are really good results . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

One other thing that I have done when moulding, sometimes the client will give me the item to be moulded, a  leatherman for example.  I would wrap the leatherman in plastic or  a plastic bag, bound with plastic packing tape  so no moisture gets into it , and make a case around that . Once the leather has dried out just enough and taken shape, I remove the leatherman as soon as practicable   while the leather is still pinned to the board and unwrap it . 

The 5mm leather I have moulded was for the round bit on a H/D  fishing gimbal , and fishing  accessories . The other "accessory"  I made,  was  a belt mounted  stubby holder ( you call them coolies over there? ) ...for the beer of course  :)

HS