eddie0225

gathering information

Hello,

I'm trying to find out as much as I can wanting to pick your brain to get my daughter starts using the Singer 51 w 54 post machine I've gotta her to do leatherwork with. Information on things like needle sizes thread types and such. She has been using an old slant-a-matic but it can only do so much. A good friend told me this machine would do most anything she wanted  So please any help at all to help her get going would be wonderful. Does anyone know where to get an owners manual? I've found a parts manual so far and found a few threads on needles and such.Mainly looking for ideas from experience 

thank you

A quick google forum search gives you a lot of information about the 51w

https://www.google.com/search?q=singer+51w+site%3Aleatherworker.net%2Fforum%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

original needle system afaik is 128 but machine could be modified to accept other / more common needles.

I have a 51wSV2 (early model) and I did a lot of modifications now mine is using 135x17 needles.

EDIT:

Here is an extract from a Schmetz needle list. The 51w40 in particular is not mentioned but you have an idea...

needle 51w.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

I have a manual for a 51w100 (this sub-model is not listed on ISMAC web site!) but according to the description in the manual and the that of your 51w54 we're not talking much difference in terms of what it does.  The basics will be the same.  I'll scan it in today and post it here later. :)

2 hours ago, marronne said:

I have a manual for a 51w100 (this sub-model is not listed on ISMAC web site!) but according to the description in the manual and the that of your 51w54 we're not talking much difference in terms of what it does.  The basics will be the same.  I'll scan it in today and post it here later. :)

Would be great - looking forward to seeing / downloading it :)

Hi again

Attached is the manual.  Hope it's of use :)

Singer 51w100 and 52w100 - instructions for using and adjusting.pdf

Holy Crap - thats the manual for the early 51w - the one I have  :lol: Not exactly the same but for the early one... Nothing new in there but nice to have.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :banana:

Edited by Constabulary

13 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Holy Crap - thats the manual for the early 51w - the one I have  :lol: Not exactly the same but for the early one... Nothing new in there but nice to have.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :banana:

My pleasure!  You help so many people on this great forum, including me, my turn to return the favour :)

well I found the manual for sale  and got the actual pdf for it  I'll upload it here if it'll let me so other can use if needed. Thanks for all the info. Now to find the needles she'll need  seems to be 128 platform  she is wanting one good for sewing leather... Well I tried and its a bit to big I'll downsize it later and put it here

well was going to share it but it's too big to upload here says max size is 1.46 MB and it is 2.1mb,

any ideas on how to get on here for someone who may need it?

Edited by eddie0225
added something

1 hour ago, eddie0225 said:

any ideas on how to get on here for someone who may need it?

Send it to me and I will post it.  Sending you a PM.

Tom

On 7/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, eddie0225 said:

well I found the manual for sale  and got the actual pdf for it  I'll upload it here if it'll let me so other can use if needed. Thanks for all the info. Now to find the needles she'll need  seems to be 128 platform  she is wanting one good for sewing leather... Well I tried and its a bit to big I'll downsize it later and put it here

Did you see the manual I posted? There won't be much difference between sub-models so you should find what you need :)

On 7/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, Northmount said:

Send it to me and I will post it.  Sending you a PM.

Tom

@eddie0225  Please check your PMs.  You haven't read it it yet!  When you send me your PDF, I will post it for you in this thread.

Tom

Here is the needle chart for the class 51 machines.

Páginas desde Singer 51w.pdf

Here are the manuals from Eddie0225 and a comment from him:

I haven’t made many post there but have finally got around to working on the machine found out since I got everything hooked up and going again the timing is off I took the machine in to this guy who works these types  and he said is a simple fix  nothing serious.

SINGER-51W54-51W55 full manual.pdf

Singer 51w100 and 52w100 - instructions for using and adjusting.pdf

Thank you marronne and eddie :thumbsup:

Apparently the timing was off because the timing belt was missing somehow or another it got gone. So now I need to get a timing belt. Shop said everything else seemed to be in awesome shape just missing the timing belt. Not sure how I missed it but either way it's gone now. Got a place in tn. That says they might be able to find a substitute for it I'm hoping or find someone who has an extra

I may have a timing belt for you.  I found more of them for the 51 class.

glenn

@shoepatcher Where please

Edited by eddie0225
To correct something

I found my timing belts.  I have a couple of ones that are a little dirty but never been used and on one, the  cotton belt is dark from oil but is good.  I assume his one is a little longer from being stretched on a machine.

Price is $30.00 plus shipping.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

Well I'd love to get one from you and I don't mind if they're dirty and I've seen you've done a lot of dealings here and from all I can tell no problems . I tried to pm you but it says you don't or can't receive them don't remember which it was. I'd like to talk one way or another about getting one of them for sure and I appreciate it tons. So how do I get in contact with you other than p.m.'s

which it says you can't do

Eddie

well can't seem to quote can't pm you maybe @shoepatcher will get your attention. I want to get one of your  belts just need to know how to make the deal so I can get the belt. 

Thanks Eddie

1 hour ago, eddie0225 said:

well can't seem to quote can't pm you maybe @shoepatcher will get your attention. I want to get one of your  belts just need to know how to make the deal so I can get the belt. 

Thanks Eddie

Are you using NoScript or another ad/script blocker in your browser? If so, turn it off, or disable blocking for our website.

I made this mistake yesterday on another forum. I tried wrapping a keyword inside url tags and the action failed repeatedly until I noticed that NoScript was blocking items on that page.