Vinito

Help - Juki 562/563 oil felt wick

Hi folks.

I'm trying to figure out where this oil felt wick is supposed to go. It's been several months since I last got into this so if I ever knew, the truth has been erased by sleep & donuts.

It's for my Juki 563 (bobbin conversion from a 562). The felt block pad goes into a well which is marked in red highlight. I just can't figure out where the end of the wick is supposed to clip. Doesn't seem like the lifting foot rod needs this kind of oiler but I could be wrong, and if it's for the walking foot or needle rod, then I can't even figure out where it could go.

Can somebody look at theirs and tell me where the heck the end of the wick is supposed to be clipped on?

Thanks.

The pad, wick & clip: f.jpg.431e1f5c11454ea00155a2ed62835efd.jpg

The well: Res.jpg.330fa33aea673c0d088a8480309dde07.jpg

But where do it go?: head.jpg.ee65d969968e2ebdde5cf35f9d4f14b0.jpg

Edited by Vinito

Wow. I could understand if nobody knew for sure, but no reply at all?

I guess I'll just guess. I hoped there'd be a better way.

Edited by Vinito

I have a 563. I'll take a look and let you know.

I looked at my machine. Although it is difficult to see or photograph, it appears the retainer clip holds the wick somewhere at the back end of the needle bar frame. I looked at the parts manual and now understand where it is going. the clip (46) attaches to the needle bar frame rock shaft assembly (47) to lubricate the needle bar frame slide block (44). From where the pad sits, the wick goes straight across the bottom to the rock shaft assembly where the wick goes under the retainer (mounted on the rock shaft assembly) from the right side of the retainer and coils up on the left side of the retainer above the slide block. It also will lubricate the needle bar frame where it slides against the main casting.

I hope this makes sense.

563-oil-wick.jpg

On 7/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, JJN said:

I looked at my machine. Although it is difficult to see or photograph, it appears the retainer clip holds the wick somewhere at the back end of the needle bar frame. I looked at the parts manual and now understand where it is going. the clip (46) attaches to the needle bar frame rock shaft assembly (47) to lubricate the needle bar frame slide block (44). From where the pad sits, the wick goes straight across the bottom to the rock shaft assembly where the wick goes under the retainer (mounted on the rock shaft assembly) from the right side of the retainer and coils up on the left side of the retainer above the slide block. It also will lubricate the needle bar frame where it slides against the main casting.

I hope this makes sense.

563-oil-wick.jpg

Nice find!!

Thanks Gregg, I just hope @Vinito reads this post. I hope he hasn't given up on getting his answer on LW.

Very cool. Thanks.

Your text description is too complicated to make sense of it on a first cursory read, but I'll print it and take it to the machine. I'm sure a step-by-step following of it will set me straight.

My original guess of where the wick led was definitely incorrect compared to what you show there, so I'm glad I asked.

Thanks again.

Edit to add:

It is done!

Seems obvious now of course... The correct placement sure makes more sense and the fit does too. Finally this machine is back in business. The restoration turned out nice and I think it will really come in handy.

I would guess that it will take some minor tweaks to perfect it up, but it seems to sew pretty well finally.

Incidentally, I bought some el cheapo junk bobbins at first and they caused me a fair bit of grief before I finally figured out the problem. Original Juki bobbins weren't all that much more $$ but they work great, so it's definitely not worth scrimping. Night & day. The junk ones were slightly larger diameter, 1/32" wider (ouch!) and the bore was rough as can be.

Bit of advice on wicks: I bought replacement felt block "wicks" using the correct original Juki part number from a reputable parts source and what they sent was a big block of foam for each one instead, so maybe the "real" ones aren't available anymore? Disappointing :( ... Anyways, evidently it's just best to clean up your original wicks and keep on reusing them.

Now I just need to learn about how to actually use it, which needle/thread combos are correct for the work, and even what kind of thread is correct for the machine and what kind of needles are right for the work. I heard that you even need to buy the right twist (right hand vs. left hand) for stranded thread or things don't go right.

So much to figure out, but at least the machine part should be pretty much set up. One less thing.

Edited by Vinito

On 8/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, Vinito said:

It is done!

Vinito,

I really enjoyed reading this thread on how you took an old machine, changed it out to the larger bobbin and repainted and restored this beautiful machine. I know this is not a new thread, but great documentation. It will help others who enjoy restoring machines. Thank you!