M1F

Saddle Restoration Tips & Saddler ID Help

I have an antique packhorse saddle I’m trying to restore that I got from my grandmother. It belonged to my great-grandfather, and was used to carry drums of water, from what she and my dad have said. Unfortunately the only person who really knew it’s story passed away before we even knew it was there. It was made prior to 1917, perhaps 1912/13. There’s a couple of marks on it that I know nothing about, but if someone else on here knows old Australia saddlers marks and recognises these, I’d love to know. I’ve emailed the Stockman’s Hall of Fame up in Longreach to see if they know, so I’m hoping they have a catalogue of some kind they could send me, if nothing else. They are as follows:

C.M.F SA 12/13 (this is on the tree)

Edward Jones O&M 1917 (this is on one strap) 

An interlocking D and B on the other tree. There is text below it but it’s so filled with grime that it’s illegible. The shape of the D and B almost looks like it might be a brand of some kind? Maybe the makers of the wood and metal tree? I’m unsure at this point.  

Honestly any history about this style of saddle is fascinating to me, so feel free to share, I’m all ears!

Now I’m a cattle farmer; I know jack all about leather except where it comes from, sewing leather is absolutely beyond me for many reasons, so I don’t plan on taking it apart. But I’d absolutely love some tips on cleaning it from the outside. It’s sat in an open faced shed for 50+ years, so it was fairly grimy, mostly dusty (this is Australia we’re talking about. When is it not dusty.), but had little exposure to wind/rain/etc as it was quite far back in a corner. I knocked all the hornets nests off it, blew it off with an air compressor, and have wiped it off somewhat with clean water. It’s very dry, and very grimy, and has some marks from riding 800km home in the back of the ute. The marks don’t bother me too much, but if there’s an easy fix to ‘em I’d be happy to know. 
My current plan is to scrub it a bit more (I’ve been using a toothbrush and that worked really well), and then just lather every bit I can get to in saddle grease, sit it in the sun, and then wipe off and repeat. I’ve done this before with my dads old stockhorse saddles, but they had old been out of use for 10 years, and closed up in storage. I also plan to vacuum the canvas padding side as well, it’s in amazing shape, with only one small hole (about the size of the end of a pen), and all the original horsehair stuffing. 

I should probably specify that I don’t plan on actually using this saddle ever, so most of the broken bits don’t bother me. If I find someone to make me some replacement straps for a reasonable price I might get some of the more battered parts repaired, but mostly I plan on donating it to one of the museums or historical societies that might be interested in it. Or keeping it, that makes me happy as well. 

but TLDR; would love some tips on cleaning/reconditioning an old saddle! 

B7D996A7-BF41-4E8F-A827-F96512B42231.jpeg

604D8741-E1FD-46F3-9A6D-FA2D0A062672.jpeg