Raindog951

New member from the UK

I know we're getting off topic, but I thought i'd tell you a snippet about my friend with the newspaper

He only did his stewarding at weekends. his normal day job was a primary school teacher

Hi @zuludog I could have done with the Chairleg man at my school.....He'd sort out the nastier kids....And the nastier teachers.....

I used to use a newspaper wrapped around a piece of lead pipe to tap on the heads of  'nice doggies', who weren't, when I was a postie. A few taps now and then, nowt too hard, and the dogs got the message. 

I use cereal boxes as well for patterns. Sometimes I print a pdf pattern out on thin card from Hobbycraft or £world, and if necessary paste it with Copydex to cereal box card to thicken it up.

I use a walking stick with a large brass knob grip on it. Without actually having to use it its seen off a few trouble makers and made a few others change their minds. I let them know about the brass knob just by dropping the stick on the floor and as I pick it up I tap the floor a couple of times. They get the message.

I have a couple of Dieselpunks patterns. He does a good instructional video to go with them too.

Hi @fredk, Great bit of psychology with the Brass knob. Kept you out of trouble without getting you IN trouble.

I bought some patterns off Dieselpunk yesterday. Got the Moloko 3 bag,  a tobacco pouch and pipe stand, and a simple Bifold wallet.

Downloaded the videos, now just need to buy some leather. I might practice the wallet and tobacco pouch using a bunch of Chrome leather I have. Probably stick a couple of layers of thin Chrome together to give it some body. It'll take me some time to afford the veg tan for the bag.

I made some baccy pouches out of chrome tan upholstery type leather. The one thing I'd do different is to either line them with some sort of thin plasticy material or give the inside of the leather a real good coating of beeswax. I found out that the leather dries the baccy too much. Apparently there should be a bit of moisture in pipe baccy and ceegaars. If either is too dry they don't smoke at all well and just burn like tinder

Hi @fredk! Yes, that's a problem. A lot of pouches are made to fit the plastic pouches that some Baccy comes in. It might be an idea to actually line the leather pouch with an actual plastic tobacco pouch......Maybe glue it in, then sew around the edges. The pouches from dieselpunk seem to be big affairs, that hold pipes and tools, and a separate pouch of Baccy. My mate at work actually spent £25 for a pouch made from upholstery leather, complete with unfinished edges. I knew it was Upholstery leather because it was exactly the same leather as one of my sheets bought off Ebay. My immediate thought was 'That's a big profit margin'. I got ten sheets off ebay for about £12. Each sheet would make one pouch. Ten pouches sold on ebay.....£250.....

I was thinking of this sort of material (below) and just glueing it to the leather,  or use a bit of old shower curtain. :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-3-8oz-Rip-Stop-Ripstop-Fabric-Kite-Nylon-Material-Cover-15-Colours/332401505545?var=541417739341

I sewed the pouches inside-out, then turned them so the seams and edges were neat. It doesn't need to be water-tight.

There are two schools; one lot don't like the plastic pouch and want their baccy in the leather one only, the other group are happy that their plastic bag fits into the pouch. but both want a pocket for a lighter and the ciggie rollers want a pocket for the papers, and their rolling machine, and the . . . .

btw, I used plastic snaps on the pouches.

these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/440pcs-Kam-Snaps-T5-Size-20-Button-Stud-Closures-Snap-Fasteners-in-22-Colours/123259119619?hash=item1cb2d0e803:g:PEcAAOSwKUVbUDhc

Light weight and good for lightweight item like the pouches and small coin purses, but only on thin leather, up to about 1.2mm

On 7/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, Raindog951 said:

Hi @kiwican ! Thanks for the welcome. I used lead shot, of VERY tiny size (pinhead sized) mixed with evostick contact cement. Filled up each moulded hollow and let it set, then glued the two halves together.

Hi @toxo ! You're right. Illegal to carry outdoors, and MAYBE legal if kept indoors. I'm currently searching the internet to confirm I'm Ok having it at home. If not, then sadly I'll have to remove the lead shot and make it a Coin purse :-) !! You've done a great job on that purse. It looks like it holds enough coins to stun an Ox!

welcome here from over there  :)

Here in the US  the sap is also illegal, But we being some krafty  kind of guys came up with a loop hole

Attach a key to the sap and it is no longer a sap it is a key fob  and key fobs are legal 

Edited by Frodo

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

welcome here from over there  :)

Here in the US  the sap is also illegal, But we being some krafty  kind of guys came up with a loop hole

Attach a key to the sap and it is no longer a sap it is a key fob  and key fobs are legal 

lol one of my key fobs is a monkeys fist with a 12 gauge lead ball in it. 

You could make a poke, small leather pouch for money, hang it around yer neck and use it the same way as they did before pockets were invented. Many a bad folk were educated by a poke.

I was thinking of this sort of material (below) and just glueing it to the leather,  or use a bit of old shower curtain. 

@fredk Nifty idea with the shower curtain! I've worked with ripstop before (making stunt kites). It's tough stuff. Those plastic snaps are cheap. I've seen them on other stuff, and they're surprisingly secure.

Hi @Frodo Hahaha! I wonder if I could attach a key fob to my Samurai Sword and carry it about? Getting hit by that would ruin someone's day.

lol one of my key fobs is a monkeys fist with a 12 gauge lead ball in it.

Hi @chuck123wapati Here in the UK they actually made carrying Monkey's Fists illegal, as they were becoming too popular as a self defence tool. They ruin all our fun over here.....Never heard the name Poke before in relation to those money pouches! I like it. Another use for the Chrome tanned sheets I have laying around......

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

You could make a poke, small leather pouch for money, hang it around yer neck and use it the same way as they did before pockets were invented. Many a bad folk were educated by a poke.

ah, the wonders of the differences in our language.

Here, a poke is a piece of paper rolled to make a cone shape. Often used to hold sweeties (confectionery) or chips (fries). A poke made of light biscuit is used for ice cream.

Now, I do know that many a naughty child was transformed into a cherubic angel on the promise of getting one of those 'pokes'

LOL....I am not even going to try and explain what a poke is around here. 

image.jpeg.76d3d13377d17b1235c3ca77250a9f63.jpeg