gk68

draw down strap pattern

any one have a pattern for a draw down strap?  or at least dimensions?  i could buy one but figured i might as well make one.

I think the book talks about two different widths for the strap.  I prefer the narrower version and use another piece shown at the top of the photo to distribute the pressure. I rarely use the wider strap. 

Randy

20200725_100153.jpg

On 7/25/2020 at 11:06 AM, rktaylor said:

I think the book talks about two different widths for the strap.  I prefer the narrower version and use another piece shown at the top of the photo to distribute the pressure. I rarely use the wider strap. 

Randy

20200725_100153.jpg

rk taylor thanks for the info.  ive looked way  back through yours and others journeys building saddles.  I'm going to tackle my first one this year i hope to be able to craft as well as you guys.  I'm sure ill have a pile more questions

I use two different draw down straps.  For general construction purposes I use a simple, straight one (shown on the saddle in the pic below).  The other is used exclusively for stretching in seats.  I'm very careful with the latter strap and don't want any nicks, glue or gouges on it.  I try to keep it pristine so that it doesn't mar or scratch a smooth-out or tooled saddle seat during stretch-in.  It's also wider so I can run my rub-stick over it with less risk of rubbing on the edge which could cause a hard to remove crease on the seat.  The "seat strap" shown below is 8" wide at its widest, and 36" long.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

I should add to the above comment that when stretching in a seat, I use a spreader stick to widen the pull of the draw down strap and avoid pulling the seat flaps excessively inward early in the shaping process.  If that's not clear, I can take a photo in the next few days when I stretch in the seat on the pictured saddle.

What’s the best thickness to use?  I have some spare 9/10oz I was gonna use, but wasn’t sure if it would be too light.

I think the 9/10 should be fine.

Randy