ABC3

Barge cement not sticking

As the title says - my Barge cement is not sticking.  I'm brushing on the cement, (evenly), making sure every area is covered. I do this to both straps. I let it dry until it turns color and then put the straps together, making sure the straps

are firmly together. Hang them up over night to complete drying.  The next day I'm finding the straps are not cemented together. Sometimes it's an 1/8 inch - other times it's 6 or 8 inches is not glued.  I know, for a fact. that I covered the entire

strap. Am I not mixing it properly out of the can ?  I'm lost.

Use two coats on each piece, let first dry completely, let second dry to where your finger will barely stick to it, then put together and apply some pressure, such as hammering if your project allows.

blue62, thanks for the help.  Question:  I noticed that there are two different colors of glue in a gallon can.  Do you know if these need to be mixed together.  I"m assuming one is a hardening agent.

Are you using barge in a yellow and red can?  There is no mixing of anything!  Once in awhile you may have to add a little thinner if glue gets to thick!  You said am I not mixing it properly out of the can!  I don’t understand what you are mixing!

Rhale:  mixing the contents is misleading.  In a gallon  of Barge there is a light color and a dark color of glue. Do these need to be mixed before use ?  That would be hard to do in a gal. can and if you had

to pour into a larger container to mix - would be alot of trouble..  

I have and use gallon barge contact cement,  I have never seen 2 different colors in it!  Did you buy this gallon new?  It should be yellowish and gooey right out of the container, it looks just like it does in a smaller container. I buy it by the gallon then put into my glue jar from there and never seen 2 different colors!

If the glue sets for a period of time, it will separate, but it is easily stirred(not sure about gallon size can).  Your pieces either need to hit with a hammer or pressed together with some force.  I have never experienced the problem you are.  I also keep some thinner around to stir in if it starts getting to thick.

Terry

I do have the thinner an use it .   I also  use the hammer on the edges. We buy the Barge by the gal generally 2 to 3 cases at a time. Therefore it does set and I guess separate.  But there is definitely two colors. One is a light brown/sand color and the other is black.. That was what I was talking about.  Do you need to mix or stir in equal parts. Because it would be hard to stir in the gallon can.

Anyway, Ill keep working with it and thanks guys.