Sign in to follow this  
mishka

Marlin 1894 Butt Stock Wrap

Hey Guys, here is my latest project I did for myself.

c57eadfd9fda42e74f479cc312eab6d0.jpg

28e2378ceaa67f84f39ec1d0afeb5d6d.jpg

80707a20256c287375820048d454f8a6.jpg

05b4cda41716773dbfed92fadd65a316.jpg

c65372486742d2e812fc10abc4a51159.jpg

e559d1f986f82e5807da41a7e28a4ffa.jpg

Here is my first attempt at this, learned few things from it :)

e8483c0ca3c62d447e6f4b1dc69eaeb6.jpg

5c7826570cbc172a5a3af7c9f0c77da2.jpg

Next I want to try to make a sling for it. What weight leather is recommended for it? And is there any good templates?

Looks real nice.  I like the rifle too!  What type of sling are you thinking about? padded, simple strap, sued lined, used just for shoulder carry or to support off hand shooting...  I've yet to make a sling but I'd probably use an 8oz veg tan and add a 4oz sued liner on the shoulder area.  I don't really care for a padded sling. Maybe some others will chime in.

Scootch

Very nice Miska! My personal preference for a sling on this type of rifle is a simple straight strap either 1" or 1-1/4" wide built out of 10 to 12 oz leather with some adjustment possible with either laces holes or a conway buckle. I've attached a pic of one of my similar rifles with a sling made just this way. 

All the best, Josh

008.jpg

Thanks guys. Was thinking some simple two/three piece cobra style with no padding. Planning just adding the same border stamp to match the butt stock. But I quite like yours Josh too.

If i decide to do without any lining or padding, whats the best way to finish underside of the leather? Dye it , then Gum Trag and slick it up?

On 7/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, mishka said:

If i decide to do without any lining or padding, whats the best way to finish underside of the leather? Dye it , then Gum Trag and slick it up?

It depends a little on the hide you're using and where you're cutting your sling. If it's "strap" or "tooling" leather that has been made a uniform weight at the tannery and you're cutting closer to the top or back of the hide it'll likely be fairly smooth already. I'd just dye it, oil it to the degree you like then top coat it with whatever you like. If it's "fuzzy" for whatever reason and it's plenty thick to allow it you can use fine sandpaper wrapped around a wood block and sand it smooth. I like to sand in one direction and have the leather slightly cased. You can also "slick" it down using a glass slicker or smooth hardwood block with the edges rounded and fine sanded glass like smooth. You'd have the leather cased and smooth the grain down going in one direction. Both of these are good options If you're using skirting leather that hasn't been split to an even weight at the tannery. If the leather is fuzzy because it's from the belly you may re-think using it for a sling as belly tends to be stretchy. I haven't used Gum Trag for many years, it always seemed to me like plain water got about the same results. At the same time I have nothing against it either, for me it was just one less thing to buy. 

Good luck with your sling! 

Josh

Nice work Mishka. I like what you've done here. The wrap on the cocking loop is especially nice!!