Miroslaw

Choosing a sewing machine for upholstery up to $ 1200

Good day. I need your help and advice on choosing a sewing machine for sewing leather. I have experience with sewing textiles, but as far as working with leather is concerned, I'm just a rookie. I want to start sewing car seats and upholstery. Unfortunately, I have no familiars, who would be engaged in sewing such products. I'm sure it should be a flatbed machine. But I have doubts about what kind of the feed mechanism to choose - top & bottom or compound feed. I have heard and read different opinions on this matter. What are the features of the choice? 

My purchase budget - around $ 1200. Brands represented in my country - Juki, Typical, Durkopp-Adler, Golden Wheel, Hightex, Zoje. One seller also advised me model Typical GC 20606-1. Do you think this will be a good choice? I don't want to be wrong, because I won't have another try. Thank you in advance.

If you can take your pick of all these brands, how many are sold by dealers in your area who can offer parts and service? At least find dealers who speak the same language and will spend time with you on the phone if you have operational problems. When I started buying industrial sewing machines I quickly learned to avoid dealers who did not offer any after the sale assistance.

After you gain some hands-on experience with an industrial sewing machine, you can buy online and fix any problems yourself. Just don't do this the first time around.

If you have no dealers around, try to find somebody who does upholstery, even boat upholstery, and ask them if they are selling any unwanted walking foot machines. I have done this a few times and scored some really nice machines.

Machine brand names I would trust, from your list, if set up first by a dealer, are: Juki, Hightex/Cowboy, Consew/Seiko and Adler. You may be able to find a used Singer walking foot machine in an upholstery shop somewhere. Check boat docks and marine supply shops that might do sail and cover repairs.

Excellent advice thank you...

I live in a small city (200,000) a half hour drive from the capital. There are no any dealers of industrial sewing equipment in my city, so in this sense it doesn't matter which brand to choose, in any case I will be left alone with my sewing machine after the purchase. In terms of spare parts, the most basic items such as a hooks, needle bars, needle plates, feed dogs and thread tensioners are available for all brands, but there can be problems with electronic components. As for the after-sales service, I'm afraid Ukraine in this regard is very far from the USA))

As for the material feed, I was told that most people choose machines with a top and bottom feed for sewing upholstery, but perhaps this is simply due to their lower cost ). I also heard that machines with unison feed it is not convenient to sew areas with differences in material thickness, because the movable needle can catch the material. I would also like to know the opinion about the power of the motor and the diameter of the pulley. I already know that the standard pulley diameter is 65 mm. But it seems like it needs to be changed by 45 mm so that the sewing speed is lower. I would like to receive more technical details.

Edited by Miroslaw

For upholstery work, a unison feed (triple feed) is very helpful.  You won't have trouble catching the needle.  A small motor pulley will slow it down a little.  Enough for upholstery jobs.   550w servo has adequate power.  

On 7/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, Miroslaw said:

I live in a small city (200,000) a half hour drive from the capital. There are no any dealers of industrial sewing equipment in my city, so in this sense it doesn't matter which brand to choose, in any case I will be left alone with my sewing machine after the purchase. In terms of spare parts, the most basic items such as a hooks, needle bars, needle plates, feed dogs and thread tensioners are available for all brands, but there can be problems with electronic components. As for the after-sales service, I'm afraid Ukraine in this regard is very far from the USA))

As for the material feed, I was told that most people choose machines with a top and bottom feed for sewing upholstery, but perhaps this is simply due to their lower cost ). I also heard that machines with unison feed it is not convenient to sew areas with differences in material thickness, because the movable needle can catch the material. I would also like to know the opinion about the power of the motor and the diameter of the pulley. I already know that the standard pulley diameter is 65 mm. But it seems like it needs to be changed by 45 mm so that the sewing speed is lower. I would like to receive more technical details.

Hi;
I have a TYPICAL GC 20606-1 (this is a clone of a Mitsubishi LU2-4400 BOB). I can tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of this sewing machine, as well as about setting it up.

Stay away from used machines coming through Lithuania. They are clapped out and cheaply repaired, just like Audi-80 and 100 used to be, back in the 90s.

Do not worry about the pulley. Get a servo motor instead. It will save you lots of leather and nerve energy.

Upholstery shops rarely use cylinder arm machines. Normally all the work is done on a flat bed. But if you can get a decent cylinder arm machine for a good price, consider it as well because you can put a flat bed attachment on and do both kinds of work.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, Miroslaw said:

Good day. I need your help and advice on choosing a sewing machine for sewing leather. I have experience with sewing textiles, but as far as working with leather is concerned, I'm just a rookie. I want to start sewing car seats and upholstery. Unfortunately, I have no familiars, who would be engaged in sewing such products. I'm sure it should be a flatbed machine. But I have doubts about what kind of the feed mechanism to choose - top & bottom or compound feed. I have heard and read different opinions on this matter. What are the features of the choice? 

My purchase budget - around $ 1200. Brands represented in my country - Juki, Typical, Durkopp-Adler, Golden Wheel, Hightex, Zoje. One seller also advised me model Typical GC 20606-1. Do you think this will be a good choice? I don't want to be wrong, because I won't have another try. Thank you in advance.

I picked up this 145w204 at a once in a lifetime deal. Supposed to be a great rig for upholstery. 7/8 lift compound walker. Sparkly clean inside and out. It had never been cleaned. I might sell, prefer trade

24D86452-3E37-4D4F-A53A-B950D374D474.jpeg

01275165-AEA8-4075-A3D5-A963BE041CBA.jpeg

F7D40E6E-66E8-424A-ADF3-57981175DA79.jpeg