Ferg

CARPAL TUNNEL

I finished over 300 masks and may not be able to make any more.

I have worked with my hands my entire life. Have all kinds of cuts, bruises, a few broken bones, never a hint of Carpal Tunnel, until soon after Christmas 2019.

I began having pain three or four weeks before I stopped making the masks. Fast forward to NOW.

I will have surgery on my left hand July 30th, right hand August 13th.

The pain in my hands is debilitating. I wear braces on both at night until about 4:00 AM when I cannot withstand the discomfort. The veins of my hands as well as tendons bulge to the surface appearing extremely grotesque when I experience pain.

Two doctors I see don't seem to be too upset about that. One of my wife's doctors told her he had to have his hands done, the easing of the pain subsided on his way home after surgery.

I am hoping that will occur on my way home next week.

Wondering how many other leather workers have experienced this.

BTW: I haven't carved any leather for about three years, arthritis in my hands and fingers won't let me hold the tools. Doesn't stop my gardening, working in our wood shop, or keep me from an occasional stitching job. 

We also apply the stain to our Log Home every three to four years. This year is the year!

Ferg

Yes I have carpal tunnel. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I was scheduled for surgery in March and then Covid happened. I wear braces at night and if I have worked them to hard I will also take Meloxicam. I have a small cattle farm and make hay so my surgery has to be in the off season. So I will wait till after the new year. I too have a touch of arthritis.

Wish you well with your surgery.

Edited by Old Coach Saddlery

Thanks Coach,

I am to the stage of not being able to hold my glass of milk in the morning very well. Writing is a task, no one including me, can read it after I write it anyway. lol

I can still type fairly well if I don't allow my wrists to rest on the edge of the desk.

I figure the Good Lord is giving me a dose of my own medicine. I have enjoyed good health all my 86 years and burned the candle at both ends.

Ferg

make you a 3'' wide leather bracelet. use a thick veg tan.  you want it stiff, make the closure velcro,  so you can adjust 

this will stop you from resting your wrist on the desk as you type and it will support your wrists.

it works

i have it and with out my brace i cant work..

Sorry to hear of your pain, Ferg! I worked at a coffee shop for about a year over 15 years ago and all of us there had constant wrist pain from the motion required for the espresso machine. Little did I expect I was doing long term damage, all these years later and the pain has never completely gone away. Of course I’ve done plenty else since then that may have caused damage, but I had never had any pain previously. I’m thankful that it’s not severe enough to limit my activities.

Wishing you the best for your upcoming surgeries. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks to everyone for the best wishes. 

FRODO, I will have to try the wrist brace, thank you.

Ferg

I have carpal tunnel syndrome for almost 13 (+/-) years now - first I got cortisone shots in the wrists when it became toooo bad (at night) - that really worked well for me.  Meanwhile I can live with it quite well (looong time no cort. shots). I feel when its getting worse and I quit hardworking for a few days and then its gone. Yet no surgery.

Edited by Constabulary

A Carpal Tunnel Update:

Left hand surgery last Thursday. Absolutely no pain, haven't taken any pain meds. Surgeon told me I could take the padded bandage off today and replace with a BandAid.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

So glad to hear Ferg!!  

- Bill

Wow, that's great! Glad to hear you're pain free!

Sounds like you got a good doc.  Awesome thing!

YinTx

All the very best Fergie  :thumbsup:  My Mother has one more to go too .

At least you can hold a beer  now :) 

HS

You can just buy or have the doctor prescribe (thus a prescription) a wrist support for one or both.

Caution though - they do support the wrist/hand, but they all (see above) also prevent movement - something that is just as bad and you can figure out why.

So, wear them with some common sense (movement is critical to prevent freezing in place).

We have the wrist supports for both hands. They done me little to no good.

I had my right hand surgery last Thursday. Left hand was a piece of cake, it is healed to almost invisible.

Small problem with the incision on the right hand but wife and I fixed it this morning.

Doctor had told me I may not get total reduction in the numbness in my fingers. So far he was correct. After left hand surgery the numbness went completely away in my right.

Since right hand surgery I have some numbness in all fingers with exception of "little fingers". They are normally left out of the pain etc.

I have arthritis in several of my fingers just to keep me aware. Lol

I would recommend the surgery to anyone with the problem. Right hand took ten minutes. I had enough pain with the right to make me take a few pain pills, left was flawless.

Ferg

Outstanding report @Ferg! I'm super glad it worked out so well. As you continue to heal it'll likely improve more. You'll have to take up tennis or jackhammering random stuff just to feel alive!

Good to hear your on your way to recovery 

Good luck to you

On 7/23/2020 at 1:23 AM, Frodo said:

make you a 3'' wide leather bracelet. use a thick veg tan.  you want it stiff, make the closure velcro,  so you can adjust 

this will stop you from resting your wrist on the desk as you type and it will support your wrists.

it works

i have it and with out my brace i cant work..

You wouldn't have to happen a picture of one of these do you? I'm having the same problem but I don't want surgery.

I have had many through out the years,  this is a paracord one

you just need something to stop the pressure at the wrist

20200819_064142.thumb.jpg.f26f5b2506c186115cd9a9ee4719fbb4.jpg