KenJWan

New black engineer boots

This is my fourth leather project and fourth pair of boots. Each time has incorporated new techniques and tweaks. So far, I’m the most pleased with these.

60BF9D31-9E96-479E-BBE5-3D64F10E8DB5.jpeg

52EC77EC-121B-4BF6-8B2D-3383403A7D65.jpeg

A0B64C75-507C-46B0-B6B7-3CDBC824C59F.jpeg

D13EF8D7-908E-4A21-8625-CA7E20981F51.jpeg

I don't know squat about making boots, but damn those are nice.  If I may, what last do you use?

On 7/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, KenJWan said:

It's a hand-modified last from a mexican manufacturer that my bootmaker friend hooked me up with.

Great looking quality boots! Can you elaborate on your lasts?  Were they wood, plastic, 2 piece, modified cowboy lasts, shoe lasts, munson lasts? What type of sewing machine for the uppers and soles? 

Thanks!

Edited by ryano

these turned out beautiful 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, ryano said:

Great looking quality boots! Can you elaborate on your lasts?  Were they wood, plastic, 2 piece, modified cowboy lasts, shoe lasts, munson lasts? What type of sewing machine for the uppers and soles? 

Thanks!

Hey, just saw your post.

It’s a synthetic last with a hinge. Originally started as a longer, narrower lace-up last. I sanded down the toe to make it the rounder shape I wanted, as well as flattened it a bit. I’ve since refined it a bit more and will send it back to the manufacturer to get it properly made.

As for the machine, it’s an Adler post-bed I have access to at the shop.

I’ve further refined the style and when I get the new last, plan to make up some new ones.

On 3/14/2021 at 4:28 AM, KenJWan said:

Hey, just saw your post.

It’s a synthetic last with a hinge. Originally started as a longer, narrower lace-up last. I sanded down the toe to make it the rounder shape I wanted, as well as flattened it a bit. I’ve since refined it a bit more and will send it back to the manufacturer to get it properly made.

As for the machine, it’s an Adler post-bed I have access to at the shop.

I’ve further refined the style and when I get the new last, plan to make up some new ones.

I am getting ready to build a couple pairs of boots, but still need to decide on a couple of things. I have gotten one set of lasts in, but the toe length is very short by almost an inch. I have been in contact with a British last maker, but they do not seem to be in a hurry to get things done by taking forever to send and reply emails. 

I am curious on how you made your footbed and what tools you used. Lisa Sorrell makes a very convincing argument on how she makes her footbeds by using a cheap stitch groover, a seaming awl and a leather knife; she does not use a welt knife, a feathering knife nor even a welt channel plough as she does construct a typical holdfast.

I see you went with Dr Sole half soles. I really like their soles and the colors they offer, but I run into issues with them not having the size and color of sole that I want and if they have the soles, they do not have the heels in that size, I am mainly refering to the red/brown color options and the green options, shipping is also pretty high coming from Vietnam.

I would be interested in reading more on the particulars of the construction of your boots.

Thank you!