Arturomex

Edge Paint Applicators

I've been doing a lot of work with chrome tan lately and I'm using Giardini basic paint over the dense base coat.  I've been applying it with an awl and I'm happy with the result. Not that happy about the time it's taking me to do it. I bought an inexpensive edge paint applicator to test drive and it was disappointing. The bearings didn't run freely, the serrated, conical tip kept freezing and it just generally made a mess.

I do like the idea of applying paint this way. Does anyone have some experience they can share with a recommendation for a tool that will work properly?  I'd also entertain buying one of those little units with the serrated or cross hatched wheel that spins through the paint bath if anyone has a positive report about that.

Thanks,

Arturo

Sounds like you got a bad tool. I have two of those, each is made different but they run as smooth as silk. Have you tried working the bearing to make it run smooth?

Another way to apply edge finish is to fold up a scrap of material, such as felt, grip it in a wood spring clothes peg and use the felt pad to apply the finish

Thanks, Fred.

Yeah, they're just bad bearings on, I think, a poor design. But hearing that you have two that work well is encouraging and I'll try it again.

I use felt for dye on veg tan edges. Hadn't thought about using it for edge paint. I'll give it a try and report back to you.

Regards,

Arturo

@Arturomex I have converted to Tokonole edge paint. Very similar to what you are using, just a little thicker. The two different style roller pens worked OK, but got to be a little tedious as they don't hold much paint, and were a bit of a pain to clean, so I've gone to these swabs. They lay the paint down evenly and quickly, although I often find myself doing the final smoothing of the edge with my finger. I got them from Amazon for cleaning lenses, and they come in a smaller size.

Foam Tip Cleaning Swabs.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Those look interesting, Amigo. I know I've seen something like that somewhere, it's the somewhere that eludes me at the moment. LOL

Let me tug on your sleeve about Tokonole, please. I just got a bottle of the regular (clear) stuff and I'm not having the success I'd hoped for. I've been trialing it on some veg tan. It seems to take a long time to set up, it never seems to  set completely, it seems to have a sticky feel to it even after burnishing and I can't seem to get it to buff up to any appreciable gloss. Does that sound anomalous based on your experience?  I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle.

7 hours ago, Arturomex said:

Does that sound anomalous based on your experience?

I apply thin coats, and it has always dried within a half-hour. I usually put down two or three coats to get full coverage.

i use the wrong end of a small paint brush, just the handle held sideways puts on a nice even coat not to thick and right where i want it. 

How thin are those edges, Artourious?

I've been tempted to buy those dense spongey bits at Superstore's make-up aisle. Maybe they'll work better than other applicators? I've not had much luck with felt (it sheds lint) or the small wool daubers: the paint smears beyond the edges onto the project's surface and it can be a pain to clean it off.

Best resuts I've gotten have been with an awl, really. Tedious, I know, but less messy.

ADDENDUM: You know, I've also gotten good results with a paddle: https://tandyleather.ca/collections/supplies/products/craftool-stainless-steel-edge-paddle

I mostly use the rough side of that paddle.

Edited by Hardrada

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

I've been tempted to buy those dense spongey bits at Superstore's make-up aisle.

these work ok but they soak up more product than you use on the edge itself.

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

How thin are those edges, Artourious?

I've been tempted to buy those dense spongey bits at Superstore's make-up aisle. Maybe they'll work better than other applicators? I've not had much luck with felt (it sheds lint) or the small wool daubers: the paint smears beyond the edges onto the project's surface and it can be a pain to clean it off.

Best resuts I've gotten have been with an awl, really. Tedious, I know, but less messy.

ADDENDUM: You know, I've also gotten good results with a paddle: https://tandyleather.ca/collections/supplies/products/craftool-stainless-steel-edge-paddle

They're between 1.0 and 2.0mm.

If I recall correctly, you glass and then use edge paint. This might not help with your process but I got a pack of felt at Home Depot labelled as Everbilt "Heavy Duty Felt Blankets." It's that stuff you put under chair legs and whatnot to stop them scratching the floor.  I got two 4.25 X 6 inch pieces in the pack. It's really dense, firm stuff about 2.6mm thick and it doesn't seem to shed at all. I just cut strips to size, buck pieces off the strips, fasten them to handles and I'm good to go for dye application. I'm going to try them out with the edge paint as per @fredk and see how that works.

Next time I can I'm going to head to Superstore for the spongy bits and try them out as well.

Like you, I get the best results with an awl but I'm getting into a run of handbags and staring at a few yards of edge finishing.  Was hoping to find a quicker way to get it done.

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

these work ok but they soak up more product than you use on the edge itself.

Yeah, that's my concern as well, Chuck. Then again, once they get saturated it might not be so bad. I'll report back when I've tried out a few options.

Do you have a 3D printer?? if so you could print one of those bath and wheel type applicators??

2 hours ago, Arturomex said:

a pack of felt at Home Depot labelled as Everbilt "Heavy Duty Felt Blankets."

Thanks for the reference. I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm there; should be better than the crafts felt you get at Waldo-Mart.

4 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I use that paddle, too, with Fiebing's Edge Kote. 

use a empty  felt tip pen / magic marker   , did it in the paint and do your thing 

See the source image

On 7/27/2020 at 3:16 AM, Arturomex said:

I've been doing a lot of work with chrome tan lately and I'm using Giardini basic paint over the dense base coat.  I've been applying it with an awl and I'm happy with the result. Not that happy about the time it's taking me to do it. I bought an inexpensive edge paint applicator to test drive and it was disappointing. The bearings didn't run freely, the serrated, conical tip kept freezing and it just generally made a mess.

I do like the idea of applying paint this way. Does anyone have some experience they can share with a recommendation for a tool that will work properly?  I'd also entertain buying one of those little units with the serrated or cross hatched wheel that spins through the paint bath if anyone has a positive report about that.

Thanks,

Arturo

Arturo,

Yes the tool Giardini don't have any bearings or it's faulty designed. It will not turn freely unless it's held horizontal in certain positions. Solution was buying two others from eBay with bearings inside. They both works very well in all position. The gold color one has bearings in the top and in the bottom a trust bearing, I will recommend it. The other one with the bamboo shaft has a bearing in the top and a stop ring on the shaft. Therefore, the shaft won't jam. It's has a very good cylindrical aplicator roller that works very well. Also the bamboo handle makes it pleasant to use. I recommend it.

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373136243866

eBay swarming with these tools, you got to carefully read the descriptions before you buy.

Tor

IMG_20200808_225722.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Frodo said:

use a empty  felt tip pen / magic marker   , did it in the paint and do your thing 

See the source image

Yes that that's nice with Fibings and ink based edge paint. But with Giardini you must apply a thick floating layer so it would not work out.

2 hours ago, Trox said:

Arturo,

Yes the tool Giardini don't have any bearings or it's faulty designed. It will not turn freely unless it's held horizontal in certain positions. Solution was buying two others from eBay with bearings inside. They both works very well in all position. The gold color one has bearings in the top and in the bottom a trust bearing, I will recommend it. The other one with the bamboo shaft has a bearing in the top and a stop ring on the shaft. Therefore, the shaft won't jam. It's has a very good cylindrical aplicator roller that works very well. Also the bamboo handle makes it pleasant to use. I recommend it.

Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373136243866

eBay swarming with these tools, you got to carefully read the descriptions before you buy.

Tor

IMG_20200808_225722.jpg

I also use the bamboo handle style recommended by Tor - works really well and I think it only cost $5 or $6 on eBay.

Gary

Other aplicators I use for edge paint.

The  Giardini roller box, of course it has no lid so the paint dries out faster. That's selling more paint ;) But I've made something for it.

A small enamel paint brush shaft, with a  leather wrapped for comfort. That actually a very useful tool if you don't need to apply to much paint. And of course a polished steel rod like a clickers awl etc. The thicker the more paint it applies.

The empty marker is filled with Fibings edge paint and it stay liquid for a very long time. It's not ideal for Italian style thick "self rounding" edge paint. A small felt pad in a clothespin will do the same job, its a trow away of course.

Tor

IMG_20200809_224907.jpg

IMG_20200809_224752.jpg

Hey, thanks for those replies. How well does that Giardini roller box work, Tor?

I'm actually waiting right now for a couple of those new wands like the ones @garypl posted.

I'd really like this edge paint thing to work out but I'm still on the fence about it and I have to make a decision fairly soon about whether or not to pursue it further this year. Winter is approaching and I like to have all my liquids in before the freezing weather arrives.

Giardini is on the Italian summer break right now so I have until the end of the month to decide. In the interim, I've been making folded edges. A little finicky at times but the results are really nice.

Regards,

Arturo

The paint roller machine is CNC machines out of one piece aluminum, very durable and easy to clean. What it's missing is a lid of course. But I've use a plastic box for that purpose. I'm thinking about making something with guides on in conjunction to a lid. It good for belts reins and larger volume. It works well with Fenice, Giardini and other Italian style paint. Haven't tried it with thinner liquid ink based color yet. The Giardini have very nice results color and finish wise. But I find it to be a little to much work applying base color and several layers paint in adjunction to top coat. But of course it looks nice.

Tor