JJN

Singer 31-15 Unusual Model ID Plate

I saw this Singer 31-15 while looking around on Craiglist today. It is too far for me to go, even thought it is only $10. I thought the model ID plate was unusual because of the patent dates on it, so I stole a photo to post here. Any comments?

31-15-id-plate.jpg

31-15.jpg

Edited by JJN

I have seen this ID plate a few times already. This is a machine from the early 1900´s

@Constabulary is quite right - early 1900s.  1910 to be exact - according to the ISMACS web site.  Usually when there is just a "-" between the model and sub-model number it indicates that the machine was made in the Singer flagship factory at Elizabethport, USA. 

The 31-15 is listed as industrial but she won't be able to do any heavy duty leather.  Mainly for cloth or soft, lightweight leather.  She's missing her table and legs and would have also come with her own bobbin winder but that's reflected in the price.  The 31-15 also does not have reverse (unlike her sister the 31-32).  I have both machines but prefer the reverse version, particularly when working with fabric.

A nice size machine if you're doing a fair amount of regular work.  You won't feel that she's going to give up on you like some of the diddy domestics!

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure you guys that have been around these old machines have seen it all already. Too bad this machine isn't closer. I would love to restore it to a working machine but I really don't have the need or space. I am attracted to the old Singers though.

1 minute ago, JJN said:

I am attracted to the old Singers though.

I heard of such people - crazy folks  :lol:

Yup! They kind of multiply all by themselves :rolleyes2:  - ours have their own room :yes: 

Hope you find something closer. 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, JJN said:

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure you guys that have been around these old machines have seen it all already. Too bad this machine isn't closer. I would love to restore it to a working machine but I really don't have the need or space. I am attracted to the old Singers though.

Now that they are on your radar I predict you’ll find one closer to you pretty soon!  There is something nostalgic about sewing on an old machine from time to time.

I have a 31-15/31-20 with the 31-20 shuttle hook and bobbin and it sews 138 just fine.   

1E2E6BAB-028C-41F7-835C-12AF40FEE42D.jpeg