Sign in to follow this  
undead

Distressed Bison side, does this look right?

Not trying to call anyone or any company out, just looking for experienced opinions.

Does this look right to those that have used it before? I have been working with leather on and off for a few decades. Mostly utilitarian pieces, harness and the like only recently trying to expand and taking up tooling and the like. I recently decided to try to do some bags including a good size piece for myself in Bison and purchased hide from a supplier I have never ordered leather from before, only hardware.

The description does say distressed, "A distressed, bison leather in medium brown", but I think this is closer to half the hide can only be used for smaller pieces rather than large bags. Large scars with peeling edges and a hole pretty darn close to dead center in the side.

Just want to make sure this is not some kind of a norm for bison before I contact them.

First image is the left half of the side. Right side is not perfect but nothing like the left.

left half sm.jpg

20200728_210810b.jpg

I myself have never worked with distressed bison, although I have it on my try soon list. That being said I would contact your supplier, send them the pictures and let them know that you find that totally unacceptable. They may tell you that the scars are part of the "character" of bison but in my opinion the holes make this particular cut a piece of trash. You payed good money for a good cut of leather and got garbage. I would definitely try to work out an exchange or refund. Let us know how it works out for you.

To me that is not acceptable, unless you are getting it at 50c a sq ft.

I've bought 'distressed' leather from Le Prevo and its quality has been not far off 1st quality with only the occasional scar or mark on it. Even their very most poor quality hides are better than that.

I'd send it back for replacement or refund

I've skinned a few....  that is not acceptable.