chuck123wapati

new awl and haft

Figured i would make new awl for myself. my old awl wasn't the best by any means. so then I had to make a new haft as well. lol came out ok it fits my hand nicely, the awl is 2.5mm and makes some nice lookin holes. I was gonna post this on the awl sharpening thread from the other day as thats what led me build this. I had no way of really knowing how to sharpen an awl with this blade shape so now i do lol. I both formed and sharpened the blade by holding the blade still, in a small vice, then using standard needle files formed the blade. After hardening and tempering i then finished sharpening and polishing with the same method much easier to keep the shape IMO than trying to move the blade over a stone. I used sandpaper glued to ice-cream sticks  for the final sharpening and polishing. Only took two band aids lol its sharp alright.

newawl1.JPG

newawl2.JPG

newawl3.JPG

that is freaking European sexy. and I am jelly 

what is that brass tip?  is that from a lamp shade?  

You do know that you can start a little side bidness doing that?

I will be your first paying customer. make me one, tell me what I owe and I will send you  some cash

yup its form a lamp shade and thank you for the compliment. I will make you one if you would like, I'll pm you when i get it done.

Hey, you've re-invented the curved-haft awl! :lol: And it only took TWO bandages?
All kidding assigned, it's a lovely tool which I bet is a pleasure to (1) look at, (2) hold in the hand and (3) use for making diamond holes. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, DJole said:

Hey, you've re-invented the curved-haft awl! :lol: And it only took TWO bandages?
All kidding assigned, it's a lovely tool which I bet is a pleasure to (1) look at, (2) hold in the hand and (3) use for making diamond holes. :thumbsup:

lol maybe not the first reinvent in the last few thousand years of leather working. Thank you for the nice words.. 

Very nice job, Chuck. I'm impressed at how you keep coming up with ways to use bits of antler. I like the curved idea but I'm guessing that you need to work out how it fits the hand before fixing the awl into the handle? I don't need another awl but............

Very nice - I like anything made from antlers!

Gary

13 hours ago, dikman said:

Very nice job, Chuck. I'm impressed at how you keep coming up with ways to use bits of antler. I like the curved idea but I'm guessing that you need to work out how it fits the hand before fixing the awl into the handle? I don't need another awl but............

thanks yes it fits in the hand comfortably only one way then its just a matter of setting the awl in the position that suits you and you dont really even have to look to get good even and straight holes

13 hours ago, garypl said:

Very nice - I like anything made from antlers!

Gary

Thanks yea i use alot of it i really like the feel of antler for handle materials.

Looking marvelous!

12 hours ago, DaveP said:

Looking marvelous!

Thank you.

duuuude

this is brilliant

7 minutes ago, Spyros said:

duuuude

this is brilliant

Thank you. 

Hey Ya'll   I managed to talk Chuck out of one of these awls

Let me tell you something,  This tool is SPOT ON. Not only does it look good

The antler fits in my hand perfectly, AND, the diamond on the blade is oriented correctly to the hole in the work

PLUS.  The blade is so smooth.  The butter in my refrigerator is jealous 

This is NOT a garage made funky tool,  This is top shelf And is worth top dollar

Thanks Chuck.  

20200817_051418.jpg.a4fcb5ff191699e6d86a4026e48e0695.jpg

45 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Hey Ya'll   I managed to talk Chuck out of one of these awls

Let me tell you something,  This tool is SPOT ON. Not only does it look good

The antler fits in my hand perfectly, AND, the diamond on the blade is oriented correctly to the hole in the work

PLUS.  The blade is so smooth.  The butter in my refrigerator is jealous 

This is NOT a garage made funky tool,  This is top shelf And is worth top dollar

Thanks Chuck.  

20200817_051418.jpg.a4fcb5ff191699e6d86a4026e48e0695.jpg

Your very welcome. And also lucky you are right handed lol i didn't think to even ask. 

Looks great @chuck123wapati!