Landfield

Hello from Auckland NZ

Hi there!  I have been interested in leathercraft for some time now but what really got me started was when the country went into lockdown.  That was my opportunity to start a new craft and I wasted no time ordering leather and some of the basic tools.  I have made some little items which I have hand sewn - have attached first item I made.  I also restored a broken old leather messenger bag, having to replace all the stitching since it was rotten.  I just made my own punching board out of some scrap leather.  Not sure if it is thick enough (8mm) but I had to make a plan since the poly board I was using wasn't suitable and has damaged my awl.  I have ordered some stitching chisels, so really looking forward to receiving them!  

IMG_20200717_154011_437.jpg

Hello! I'm a beginner at leathercrafting, too. That item you made (a cord organizer for earbuds?) looks very nice, I like the paws. ^_^ That's really cool that you were able to repair that messenger bag! Must have been a lot of stitching, yes? 

Well done. If it serves the intended purpose it's a winner!

Yes, it keeps my earphones tidy and easy to find.  Thank you, I couldn't resist buying a paws stamp. I used saddle stitch and replaced almost all the stitching.  Yes, a lot of stitches, good practice!  I used a stitching pony which my husband made for me.

Thank you Toxo

Hello Landfield, and welcome to the Forum

The pouch is a good start

Search YouTube for 'Nigel Armitage - pouches' He has made a series of videos, starting with a simple flat pouch and working up to more complex designs. Also JH Leather; she does most of her sewing with an awl

Try using an old magazine as a base for making holes. It is strong enough to support the leather, but soft and yielding enough not to damage awls & stitching chisels -- and it's effectively free. Just replace it when it gets worn

Edited by zuludog

Hello! and welcome to the show, where abouts in Auckland are you? 

@zuludog thanks, will have a look on YouTube.  Going to try out the leather mat I made for punching, otherwise magazine is good idea.

10 hours ago, kiwican said:

Hello! and welcome to the show, where abouts in Auckland are you? 

@kiwican thanks, I'm in Onehunga