AdiposeFin

Please help: Leather suggestions for project in this picture

Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster. Learned a lot from hanging out with this community. Thank you very much.

Quick question. I have only worked with Veg tan leathers and on smaller projects. I want to tackle a little larger project but not sure what type of leather was used for these two bags. Does anyone have any ideas on why type of leather and thickness? I realize that both of these leathers may be different or have different treatments.  Thank you for any suggestions, really appreciate any insight the group may have.  

Ringo 

Japanese.jpg

Side View.jpg

Edited by AdiposeFin
error

Main body of bag; any thickness from 1mm to 1.6mm. Veg tanned. Pre-dyed is useful and handy, otherwise, dyed by maker. Straps, flat, maybe 2mm to 2.4mm,  two thickness of main body leather to colour match if pre-dyed leather used

Fred, thank you so much. I am used to working with veg tan but these seemed like they were a little more flexible. That being said I haven’t worked with anything as this as is being suggested.  Thank you. Any thoughts on finishes?

I have 1.2 to 1.6mm veg tan which would be as flexible as these bags show. As they are commercially made I'd suggest that the maker got pre-dyed leather from the tannery, which also has a top lacquer finish applied. If it was me doing them with new leather I'd use my regular dye, then a coat of that dye diluted in some resolene, followed by an acrylic sealer such as 'Pledge Premium Finish' (check name) which is an acrylic varnish and not a polish.

Fred, thank you!  I will do some research on these finishes. Sounds very promising. Thank you so much!!  Really appreciate your time!!