DaveP

New to me basketweave

Trying to practice a new basketweave stamp. I've not done this before.  I would like to put something like this on my small knife sheaths.  

Thoughts?

Thanks again, 

Dave

20200801_135239.jpg

Edited by Northmount
corrected title

ok, I am guessing that the sheath you have traced out is about the size you will be making?  the first thing that comes to my attention is the irregular inside border, I would think you would want it about the same size as the front of the sheath, all the way around. and so saying you want to pick stamps that are proportional to what you are putting them on. It looks like to me that your border tool is a little too big, plus you want them alot closer to each other, touching actually. I think you did a good job on the basketweave tool, hopefully you did scribe a line in the middle of the sheath for a starting point for your stamp. maybe scribing an inside border would also help keep it a bit more orderly. over all it is not a bad job, you might also toy with the idea of a smaller basketweave tool. personally I don't see why it wouldn't work. hopefully I understood the question properly.  hope this helped.

I like that stamp.  You di d very well at getting it deep enough.  I agree that your edge stamp needs to be closer together.  If you were trying to space them evenly so that they made the entire length of the line that's o.k. but you only need to space a few not the entire line.

Thanks for the help! After reading these I will put the boarder closer. It's the only one I have.  The lines were just free handed. On a real project I would use divider to make it right.  I did scribe a line for starting point. 

Thanks again 

Question... Would you take the basketweave pattern all the way around to the back side as well? 

20200802_114459.jpg

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Question... Would you take the basketweave pattern all the way around to the back side as well? 

20200802_114459.jpg

I don't but that's me, I go to the center of the bend with my patterns. One thing you will find is your stamping will be lost a bit when you bend the leather so wrapping it completely around might not look the way you want it to. Bend your test piece to see what happens. Cool lil skinner there!

Edited by chuck123wapati

Picked up a couple smaller stamps.  These are from the Tandy store. The other basket stamp is a Berry King. Wanted a stamp now so drove over the Tandy store... 25 minutes away and open. Tried it again. It's not perfect but it's a beginning. I think this smaller size is harder to use. What do you think of this one?

20200803_205736.jpg

Edited by DaveP

Much better job.  Nice depth and great edges.

the smaller stamp looks better, as well the border is much better.

Thanks for the praise. It still needs some finess.