Bananaman

Servo motor noise

No experience with  Servo motors but it does not sounds good :-) . It is brand new one, just installed and on low speed is making some grinding noises which will increase with load. On speeds over 700rpm noise will almost disappear. Is this normal? Another thing , min speed is 400rpm and is changing in 100rpm incremments or so, no smooth change, it is 400 or 500. Nothing in between. Not sure is this normal or not. 

Cheers

A lot of the generic servos tend to have that characteristic low speed "issue". That's one reason for fitting a small pulley on the motor and a speed reducer.

As for the noise, does it make it with the sewing machine belt removed?

1 hour ago, dikman said:

A lot of the generic servos tend to have that characteristic low speed "issue". That's one reason for fitting a small pulley on the motor and a speed reducer.

As for the noise, does it make it with the sewing machine belt removed?

No, it does not make noise with belt removed.

cheers

Hmm, was the sewing machine working ok before (I assume it had a different motor fitted)?

Sounds like excessive belt tension.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:45 PM, dikman said:

Hmm, was the sewing machine working ok before (I assume it had a different motor fitted)?

Yes, no problems with clutch motor. Nice and easy turns with hand 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Sounds like excessive belt tension.

Exactley , only there is no excessive belt tension. Belt was set up on “ just grubbing” tension. I did try it with belt off the machine, holding with my hand and as soon as I put bit of pressure noise will start. 

I could live with bit of noise , but, in my experience, motors with “ grinding noises” do not last long unless it is “normal” . 

cheers

Hmm, none of my servos make much noise. Is it the same whether it's run flat out or very slow?

I wondered If you were able to solve it? Because I have the exact same sound! Just installed, new out of the box!I have no comparison nor experience with these motors,, but this sound is worrying me too. Did you found a solution/anwser?