Tried some heavier leather than I normally use, this one is 9 oz.  I think it gives a lot more depth than the 4 to 5 oz I usually use, and certainly more than the 3 oz I've used in the past!  Certainly open to constructive suggestions.  My first real effort at eyes, I think more practice will improve there.  First time doing a dog, let alone a full derp boxer.  First time using the stamp on the back, it took some getting used to as well.   The floral is a modification of a Jim Linnell drawing.

YinTx

BoxerCover1.thumb.jpg.3e9c35a7e012cde35a38e2023026c1d3.jpg

BoxerCover2.thumb.jpg.70aeded5338a68dd2a515c2a5a8dd234.jpg

BoxerCover3.thumb.jpg.a91a955c997aff575337602f046e36d5.jpg

Looks great

Looks good

i like it ! A lot of work there for sure.

Great job!  How did you handle the fold with the heavier leather?  Seems that folding over 9 oz leather would be difficult to lay flat.

Gary

Your tooling has really gone to the next level. Your floral flow is about as good as it gets. 

Your right about the depth on this one it looks very 3-D. Great job!

Having had boxers, you definitely got the derp down!

12 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Looks great

11 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Looks good

10 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i like it ! A lot of work there for sure.

Thank you all, and yeah, it was a bit of work over several weeks!

9 hours ago, garypl said:

Great job!  How did you handle the fold with the heavier leather?  Seems that folding over 9 oz leather would be difficult to lay flat.

Gary

Gary, sorry if I was misleading.  The front and back panels that are tooled and stamped were 9 oz.  The spine, which you can see is stitched in separately, is 4 oz.  I cover it with a soft liner to make a seamless interior.

7 hours ago, rleather said:

Your tooling has really gone to the next level. Your floral flow is about as good as it gets. 

Your right about the depth on this one it looks very 3-D. Great job!

Appreciate the compliment, I feel I still have a ways to go.  The design flow as I mentioned is a slightly modified Jim Linnell design, so he gets credit for that.  The mashing and butchering on the leather is my effort.  :)  I think the new tools I am using have helped out some as well, which was hoped for, but somewhat unexpected.

7 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

Having had boxers, you definitely got the derp down!

I had some too growing up, glad to know you could see it! I think they have contributed to my sense of humor.

I am worried only boxer owners might fully understand the image...

YinTx

Thanks for clearing that up Y!  Reason I asked is that I am planning a journal notebook for my friend’s daughter who recently graduated from veterinarian school.  I want to use some 8-10 oz leather to get a nicer base to carve,   I was planning to use thinner leather for the spine - just mulling over how to attach it.  Is the lighter color leather on the inside of your notebook the spine or is it the soft liner leather?

My thought was to bevel the center edges of the front and back covers so it is easier on the hands when carrying it.  Then lay the spine piece on top of the covers and stitch the cover center edges to the spine.  Next, lay the left and right pockets on top of the notebook and stitch all the way around the outside edges.  Does that make sense to you?

Again, really nice job on your notebook!

Gary

12 hours ago, garypl said:

Is the lighter color leather on the inside of your notebook the spine or is it the soft liner leather?

The inside is a soft liner leather.  For better details on how it is done, check out a previous thread I had, it includes links to Jim Linnell's free course that really lays it out:

4 hours ago, caressofsteel said:

I have had 3 boxers and you managed to capture their personality in your tooling.

Thanks for that!  So many aspects to boxers, hard to decide which one to depict!

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

The inside is a soft liner leather.  For better details on how it is done, check out a previous thread I had, it includes links to Jim Linnell's free course that really lays it out:

Thanks for that!  So many aspects to boxers, hard to decide which one to depict!

YinTx

Thanks for the link - I will check it out and post my project as I make progress!

Gary

Very nice, the  exspression of the dog was captured beautifully. Floral is over the top, you have improved so much. All your hard work has really paid off.

The carving looks great to me.  I also agree a heavier leather to me is easier to carve and gives more detail.  The whole.package is very nice.   As always the hand stitching is beautiful. Wish I had your patience 

Ross

Outstanding! The tooling and stamping are impressive, as is the stitching.

19 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Very nice, the  exspression of the dog was captured beautifully. Floral is over the top, you have improved so much. All your hard work has really paid off.

Thanks much!

3 hours ago, Rossr said:

The carving looks great to me.  I also agree a heavier leather to me is easier to carve and gives more detail.  The whole.package is very nice.   As always the hand stitching is beautiful. Wish I had your patience 

Ross

Appreciate it Ross, although I've seen some of your work like the wood machinist tool box, that had to take a lot more patience than this!

3 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

Outstanding! The tooling and stamping are impressive, as is the stitching.

Thank you very much!  I went a bit bigger on the stitching than I normally do, used a set of Blanchard Irons in 7spi, a medium awl with 432 Fil Au Chinois, I think it is a decent combo.

YinTx

I think it looks great Yin! Derp is fully recognized so you done well!

8 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think it looks great Yin! Derp is fully recognized so you done well!

Thanks!  New owner should get it tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes over...

YinTx