ivan7342

Dye still bleeding after laquer coats

Hello guys,

I'm running into an issue, maybe i can get some solution here.

After dye i applied water based laquer, already gave it 5 light coats and it's still bleeding, so i thing there are 2 issues, first, it's not sealing as much as it should, so down the way it can affect things it get in contact with, also, each coat i gave, the mix of laquer and dye that results on the clot could be changing a bit the color of the piece, even if slightly...

I was thinking maybe to put the laquer in some spray dispersion pulverizer and use that instead of a clot

In the picture you can see the color on the piece and the color that ends on the clot i'm running the laquer with.

Thanks.

IMG_20200802_153329.jpg

Question about the item. Did you wipe/buff the item you dyed down once it was dry, to remove the excess dye, before applying the sealer? 

Yes, i wiped the excess dye the day before, let it overnight since it was late already.

2 hours ago, ivan7342 said:

Yes, i wiped the excess dye the day before, let it overnight since it was late already.

That wasn't the question . . . did you BUFF the item after it dried???

There are a few dyes . . . few and far between . . . that do not need a serious buffing after they dry.  The rule of thumb is sorta . . . the darker the dye . . . the more you buff . . . and if you use USMC Black . . . you will never buff off all of the loose pigment.

It is the loose pigment that is giving you the problem.  Take a white terry cloth wash cloth from your wife's stash . . . don't get caught . . . lay down whatever you have made . . . and buff that thing like you are trying to burnish a brass bell.  

Then . . . put the next coats of laquer on with a brush . . . preferably a cheap bristle brush like the 50 cent ones you get at Harbor Freight.  You will probably have your problem cured by then.

May God bless,

Dwight