I forged this hay rake tine into a knife a while back and decided it needed a sheath.  Guess I got a bit carried away.  Leather is Wicket and Craig dyed skirting.  Lining is deer skin in yellow.  Round braid for lacing.  Lace is just imperial lace from Tandy.   Got to use the stitching pony I made which was nice.  As always looking to improve so comment away.

20200803_222725.jpg

20200803_222636.jpg

20200803_222618.jpg

20200803_222603.jpg

20200803_222731.jpg

20200803_205237.jpg

20200803_222556.jpg

I like it! The dimpling(?) pattern on the leather (was that done with a pear shader?) echos the ripples on the rake tine where it was beaten with the hammer during forging (or so I suppose). I want to learn how to lace, because it looks pretty cool. The yellow deerskin really stands out. On the back of the sheathe, it looks like there are a few gaps in the lacing up towards the top? Nice stitching pony, I like the two-tone wood you have there. My pony I bought from Tandy, but I'm putting a stain and varnish on it and I want to add some leather to the area that clamps the leather piece. What weight leather did you use on your pony's clamp?

1 hour ago, Alaisiagae said:

I like it! The dimpling(?) pattern on the leather (was that done with a pear shader?) echos the ripples on the rake tine where it was beaten with the hammer during forging (or so I suppose). I want to learn how to lace, because it looks pretty cool. The yellow deerskin really stands out. On the back of the sheathe, it looks like there are a few gaps in the lacing up towards the top? Nice stitching pony, I like the two-tone wood you have there. My pony I bought from Tandy, but I'm putting a stain and varnish on it and I want to add some leather to the area that clamps the leather piece. What weight leather did you use on your pony's clamp?

The clamp i used 4 oince leather.  I just grabbed what seemed right from the scrap bin.  I can always add to it or take it off and use smaller if needed.  So far it seems good.  

Yes the dimples is a lined pear shader. I didnt think about the fact it mirrored the hammer marks but I like that thought.  The edge around the dimples on the front I think is actually for making trees not I liked the look.  

So the gaps are where the leather is open for the belt tongs through. I round braided the front leaving me with a spot on the back open.  I just did a simple cross pattern with the lace to fi ish it up.  I probably could have done round braid but I was being lazy and wasn't sure how to start and finish it.  Kinda bugs me 

Ross

I like them both, reminds me of an early day patch knife/ flint striker and the way you did the belt loop is really cool. 

42 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I like them both, reminds me of an early day patch knife/ flint striker and the way you did the belt loop is really cool. 

Thanks!  Yep for sure in that flint striker patch knife world!  

Awesome work!  Both on the sheath and the blade.  I like the way you matched the style with your tooling/stamping to the blade handle.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Awesome work!  Both on the sheath and the blade.  I like the way you matched the style with your tooling/stamping to the blade handle.

YinTx

Thanks Yin.  

I like that thought where the knife sheath compliments the knife is some way via shape and stamping.  I did stamp the black part to kinda match the handle or at least the round part and the shape of the sheath to mirror the handle in some respect.  

The sheath is the first thing on a knife you see usually.  So I want it to be aesthetically pleasing and compliment the knife and in some way show it off.  Hope that makes sense

Ross

Some of your finest work yet.! Both the sheath and the blade.  

I think its all very nice indeedy.

When I see that stamping my mind is drawn to 'stone-age' - Fred Flintstone    :lol:

15 hours ago, kiwican said:

Some of your finest work yet.! Both the sheath and the blade.  

13 hours ago, fredk said:

I think its all very nice indeedy.

When I see that stamping my mind is drawn to 'stone-age' - Fred Flintstone    :lol:

Thanks gents

NICE medieval blade,   sitting in a beautiful sheath

Nice work there but for use I'd like to have seen the scroll under rather than over.

Nice pair you've made @Rossr. I like that belt pattern too.

11 hours ago, Frodo said:

NICE medieval blade,   sitting in a beautiful sheath

Appreciated Frodo!

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Nice pair you've made @Rossr. I like that belt pattern too.

Thanks battle 

7 hours ago, toxo said:

Nice work there but for use I'd like to have seen the scroll under rather than over.

I actually agree toxo .   I usually do go under but figured why not try something different.  It does fit the hand surprisingly well.  Thanks