NeilMott

new workbench and in need of a stool or chair

Hey all.

I just put together the Harbor Freight Winsor Workbench that many have bought here.  I put masonite on the top to cover up the holes.  Here's a pic of it:

IMG_5742.JPG.5ea9d50ecc1521c7b6f8cf7fdf866f1e.JPG

The height of the bench is about 34 inches.  I was looking at something like this for a suitable chair.  I checked all the local thrift shops and nothing is available.

https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Office-Products-B16245-BK-Drafting/dp/B004I3ZRQM/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=height+adjustable+chair&qid=1596506663&sr=8-15

Any thoughts on something like this?

Neil

I bought a 28", comfortable bar stool with a back. It puts you a little above your work. I have the same bench setup.

jr

great idea!  I think I'm overthinking this...  I don't think I need arms on my chair...  

I just tried a bar stool we have that goes under our countertop and it was a good size.  Makes sense I guess that the countertop is 36 inches high, which is just higher than the workbench.  I think the one I linked before will be too high.  The bottom seating position is about 29 inches...

I prefer a nice big comfortable office chair.   The reason is, when I'm cutting or punching holes I want to get up anyway and be right on top of my work, but for everything else I'd rather lean back and rest my back.  I find stools very uncomfortable after a while.

Here is the "classic" solution - as you can see we have the same bench.

Just takes a bit of work - nothing complex.

Shop Stool Small.jpg

Edited by DanC

where do your knees go?  Mine are always under my table or bench.

Depends on what you are doing.

Just make the stool support shorter.

Uses crates and pillow (put a hard top on it - even a board) to get a working height that is good for you while sitting on a stool.  Then

This workbench isn't for those who sit at it.  For that, pick a good sitting height (above) - then raise the bench to match by putting a 4x4 (more or less) under the legs to get the height you want.  When you find the best working condition, drill holes in the feet and screw them to the "risers".

If you want to sit at this bench with the drawers - you have to raise the bench or lower the seat to get a good working condition.  Lowering the seat only works if your top of knee to bottom of foot will actually fit under the bench drawers.  If not - see above.

Short of all this - I don't see any way that bench will work for you - unless you put an extension on the end opposite the vise or along the whole length opposite the drawers - and even that will have to be deep enough for your knees to go under and not hit the bench - easy to do actually.  And actually your best option.  Gives a wider top and still useable as a wood work bench.

Edited by DanC

Hey Dan et al.

I thought I'd report on the stool/chair that I decided on and my experience so far.   Here is the link and a picture of the chair I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FL3LTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pic

IMG_2448.thumb.JPG.877ea4b0ae60f1dc4bfa0ef5ce9bfed9.JPG

The chair itself is very comfortable.  I'd say that I don't necessarily need the foot rest.  There is the bottom shelf on the bench that'd serve that purpose.  I would worry about how much pressure to put on that bottom shelf with my feet.  My knees to hit the drawers which is a bummer.  I think that DanC is right and that at some point I may raise the bench a little bit.  I think I shift my body forward and my knees move back so that they aren't right on the drawers.  Extending the workspace by adding a length of plywood for instance would also be a good solution.  I'm limited in space as is, so that will have to wait.   I did work on the bench for about a week before I got the chair and found it was a little bit low to work on for this type of work, and my shoulders (traps) got a little sore.  

So overall the bench is a good value and fairly well designed.  I do think that I'll put together some type of peg board or magnetic strip to hold my tools and a task light to go on top of the bench.  The drawers are nice, but not for everyday tools.  As for the chair, my only flaw I'd say is that the seat isn't as wide as my old desk chair for when I stitch using the "pony" I have, which is located by the garbage can in the pic.

Best,

Neil