Ferryman

Scythe Blade Sheath

Hi Guys

Does anyone have experience of making a sheath for Austrian Scythe Blades ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Got a pic of the scythe? It should be like an axe mask but with a long beak if its like the scythe I'm thinking. Search for "axe mask" and then use that idea to feed the design. 

Hi

Here is a photo of the blade.

mlIeJfv.jpg

Hello! "Ferryman",  "Scythe".  Do you go around dressed in a big dark cloak with a large hood do you? And will I have to pay you at sometime in my life, - or death?

Hey toxo

Yeah if you had seen the artwork on my HD done by a guy in Kent you would understand LOL I still have my leather with "The Ferryman" on it.

I only where the cloak on special occasions, but you will need 2 Obols to cross the river.

Edited by Ferryman

I would lay it down on a piece of poster board trace the blade and work out the final project over on the poster board. 

Hi Grumpyman

Yeah I have made a template out of poster board and I am thinking a double row of stitching along the front of the blade.

I cannot decide on whether to add a spacer piece to build up thickness at the rear and have it slide on like a sleeve or have the back open and secure with straps and snaps

3 hours ago, Ferryman said:

Hey toxo

Yeah if you had seen the artwork on my HD done by a guy in Kent you would understand LOL I still have my leather with "The Ferryman" on it.

I only where the cloak on special occasions, but you will need 2 Obols to cross the river.

I'll be sure to save up for those two Obols.

Is this why the scythe in the first place?

No toxo.

I grew up on farms and have a liking for all the vintage stuff.

I am fortunate in having somewhere I can enjoy my love of the traditional methods.

I always leave a margin around the field for wildlife, and the bracken is kept under control with a scythe.

3 minutes ago, Ferryman said:

No toxo.

I grew up on farms and have a liking for all the vintage stuff.

I am fortunate in having somewhere I can enjoy my love of the traditional methods.

I always leave a margin around the field for wildlife, and the bracken is kept under control with a scythe.

Fortunate indeed. I'm in a two bed house in town :(

I know farmers used to get paid to leave a wild perimeter around their fields for the wildlife. Do they still do that?

Yep instead of going on foreign holidays, when I retired, I bought a field LOL

I think they do, but I am not a farmer just someone who likes a little bit of paradise while it still exists. I have a 9 mile drive each way to get there but when I close and lock the gate behind me I am in a different world.

What part of Kent are you ? I was born in Wrotham Heath

21 minutes ago, Ferryman said:

Yep instead of going on foreign holidays, when I retired, I bought a field LOL

I think they do, but I am not a farmer just someone who likes a little bit of paradise while it still exists. I have a 9 mile drive each way to get there but when I close and lock the gate behind me I am in a different world.

What part of Kent are you ? I was born in Wrotham Heath

Great stuff. That's what I should have done.. Just missed  some land with a stream once. Would've been in my element. Many years ago me and the wife and kids house sat for a cousin who was off to the Canaries for a holiday. He had a small stream running past the back of his garden. By the time he came home "his" bit wasn't so little any more/ I'd dug it a bit deeper and dammed both ends. Then I went upstream catching lots of wild trout and putting them in his bit. He was a baker and used to feed em any unsold bread or whatever and they got quite big. Well you gotta have a project haven't you.

I'm in Gillingham.

Edited by toxo

First trick, from knife sheath makers. Leave about an inch sewing allowance on the cutting edge, and use some 3mm back hide in a fillet to protect the stitching from the edge.

Second trick, use an oil-retentive leather to protect the blade.

Third trick, use a 2" plumbing washer on each side of the rivet at the point. 

Don't forget a pocket for the whetstone.

Mine's in North London.

Hi Rahere

Do you have a photo of yours ?

Thanks

Tony