DaveP

Swivel knife WIP

Home made swivel knife I started making this evening.  Pieces are 303 stainless scrap bits laying around. The finger rest is from a barrel cut off stub, 416 stainless. Not sure if I'll drill and tap or silver solder. Have to cut it half after. The body has a great fit. Really like the sound of POP when pulling it out. Here's what I've got so far..

20200807_165938.jpg

20200807_191122.jpg

20200807_191050.jpg

Trying to figure out how to attach the finger rest to the shaft so it swivels.  

Is it a stub shaft inside 2 threaded halves? Anyone?

Thanks for your help 

Was thinking something like this...kinda. with this piece that's turned down connected to the finger rest.  It's .310". Then the other shaft is .375" drill a hole .228" diameter of the bolt shaft. Secure with a set screw. Does that make sense? Better ideas?

20200807_225316.jpg

20200807_230059.jpg

11 hours ago, DaveP said:

Trying to figure out how to attach the finger rest to the shaft so it swivels.  

Is it a stub shaft inside 2 threaded halves? Anyone?

Thanks for your help 

the bottom of the knife with the blade should be the part that doesnt't swivel. The thumb and middle finger are used to turn it on the pivot/swivel that your thumb rests on. It appears to me you have the blade on the part that will be the thumb rest. Is that what i am seeing? 

No, the blade will have a set/ grub screw.  The main body and second shaft will also have a set screw.  The stainless bolt I turned down is what will be connected to the finger rest. Which is what I'm trying to figure out so it will turn freely. 

Edited by DaveP

38 minutes ago, DaveP said:

No, the blade will have a set/ grub screw.  The main body and second shaft will also have a set screw.  The stainless bolt I turned down is what will be connected to the finger rest. Which is what I'm trying to figure out so it will turn freely. 

cool What is the reasoning for the two piece bottom, main body and second shaft, ? The one i have is built with the thumb piece has a tube attached  that slips over the shaft on the main body. There is a pressed dimple or punch mark on the tube if you will that keeps  the finger rest tube from coming off the shaft. There must be a groove the the dimple rides in hidden inside the tube. I can post you a pic if you would like, a set screw would/ could do the same thing. The construction methods used on my swivel knife are Knurled Main body with the blade held in with a set screw, A second threaded shaft which screws into the top of the main body for length adjustment with a jamb nut to keep it in place then the finger rest and tube that slips over the top of the second shaft that is held in place with a pressed dimple riding in a groove on the top of the adjustable shaft that allows for the pivoting action. 

swivel knife on lathe 2.0 

put this phrase in the search function for some good info by mmason who also machined one

This is kinda what I was thinking..

20200809_123113.thumb.jpg.a2c9482fcaf61eac115698d68f07dab2.jpg

20200809_123138.jpg

20200809_123045.jpg

Drilled for 6/32 set screw.  Knurling is not a strong suit for me. I didn't want it all the way up the barrel. 

20200809_130437.jpg

Edited by DaveP

The finger rest/ yoke...

20200809_135731.jpg

20200809_135818.jpg

20200809_135645.jpg