Danne

Store solvent based glue

I can't really find a good solution for storing solvent based glue. I don't use a lot (as a hobbyist) and want it to last as long as possible without drying out (and yes I dilute it when needed) but I need something airtight. Those pots that look like a "church" Ts-boy and the Italian brand. Is not a solution for two reasons, they are not airtight, also I can't fit my larger glues spreader in it.

Those with a locking lid and a seal is not good either (at least not the ones i've tried) the seal get dried out from the solvents.

Also question number two, when I find a suitable jar, I guess it's best to keep it full, then when I open and close it, it's less oxygen in the jar.

Any input here?

Keep in mind, the opening need to be big enough for glue spreaders (Those japanese ones 40mm wide)

If I can find the product in Europe it's a bonus.

Edited by Danne

1. get a small tin of the glue, eg 250ml or 125ml. Use that up first then refill that tin with glue from a bigger tin.

2. when closing up the tins, if they have press on lids, take a few deep breaths, then blow into the tin as you close it. This replaces the oxygen with mostly carbon-dioxide. We used to do this all the time with photographic chemical mixes to keep them from going off too fast.

3. On tins with a screw lid, as well as blowing, wipe some bees wax, a lot of it on the tin lid threads each time you open and close it. If you don't have beeswax use vaseline

4. on your bulk supply tin pour a little solvent on the top of it before closing up. Don't mix it in, just let it lie as a barrier. Fumes from that will exclude the oxygen as well and make the tin glue friendly

Small tins are not available. 1 litre is the smallest, even though they have sample bottles that are smaller (but hard to source) and the opening is to small for my glue spreader.  (Renia Ortec)

I find the biggest problem is whatever seal the jar uses, it dissolves over time and oxygen gets in the jar. Like here (Another solvent based glue int his, but have tried it with Ortec too) And not that easy to cut a new gasket that fit good on a jar like that. 

826770437_Skarmavbild2020-08-08kl_11_47_17.png.0bd303e4b457e705189d530a9835edb5.png

A. Its not actually the oxygen which is making the glue set. Its the release of the solvent into the atmosphere. With the carbon-dioxide treatment the CO2 keeps the solvent vapour in the glue.

b. you can buy small empty tins and jars with screw thread lids. Use the beeswax on the threads.

c. consider decanting into a small container just the amount of glue you need for the job at hand

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

A. Its not actually the oxygen which is making the glue set. Its the release of the solvent into the atmosphere. With the carbon-dioxide treatment the CO2 keeps the solvent vapour in the glue.

b. you can buy small empty tins and jars with screw thread lids. Use the beeswax on the threads.

c. consider decanting into a small container just the amount of glue you need for the job at hand

I just did a test. I put a small piece of industrial rubber mat in acetone (Will test it in Xylene too) and see if it dissolves, and I made a new gasket for my jar. It might work. 

Skärmavbild 2020-08-08 kl. 12.19.08.jpg

Skärmavbild 2020-08-08 kl. 12.19.27.jpg

Skärmavbild 2020-08-08 kl. 12.19.47.jpg

I'm with fredk. I get the smaller tins of contact adhesive. I was buying the 1 ltr tins, but  was going off quicker than I could use it.  But I also remembered  my ol' fibreglass pool days, and got some Toluene to keep it from drying out.  But the jar with a tight seal should work OK . 

Heads up,  not sure what you call it in your part of the universe, but Toluene expands rubber ...and wear gloves & *eye protection*, it burns on contact with skin.

* I've done a few impressions of Hussein Bolt to the wash room :yes:

HS

4 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I'm with fredk. I get the smaller tins of contact adhesive. I was buying the 1 ltr tins, but  was going off quicker than I could use it.  But I also remembered  my ol' fibreglass pool days, and got some Toluene to keep it from drying out.  But the jar with a tight seal should work OK . 

Heads up,  not sure what you call it in your part of the universe, but Toluene expands rubber ...and wear gloves & *eye protection*, it burns on contact with skin.

* I've done a few impressions of Hussein Bolt to the wash room :yes:

HS

Yes, I would really like smaller bottles, but I have tried a decent amounts of solvent based glue, and i'm not happy with the adhesion to reinforcement materials for watch straps. The only one that work good is Renia Ortec. The other versions is either to stringy, or doesn't adhere that well. 

No Toluene in this, I don't wear any eye protection or gloves, but I do use a respirator mask. 

4 minutes ago, Danne said:

The other versions is either to stringy, or doesn't adhere that well. 

The product I have  used in the past,  also has a ' Gel' version to avoid that stringy annoyance . Its not just for leather, but also for, wood ,  laminates, etc.  Just wondering if theres a 'Gel' version of the product that you use? 

HS

2 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

The product I have  used in the past,  also has a ' Gel' version to avoid that stringy annoyance . Its not just for leather, but also for, wood ,  laminates, etc.  Just wondering if theres a 'Gel' version of the product that you use? 

HS

I don't think so, but I really like Renia Ortec. I try the rubber seal with acetone and xylene, if it doesn't get dissolved in that I doubt the glue will. I've had the rubber in acetone for a couple of hours no, and it's not affecting the rubber. No I will try with Xylene too.

Here are the solvents and the hazardous components

Renia Ortec: Same as the thinner but also Rosin, colophony. 

Renia Thinner: Ethyl acetate, Naphtha, Cyclohexane

Isn't Xylene the same as Toluene?  or pretty close . 

HS