bryanmartin

Type of leather for motorcycle seat?

Hi everyone. I mostly do leather automotive upholstery and some small veggie tanned projects, but now I'm looking at recovering a motorcycle seat and making saddle bags. 

I figured I'd use veggie tanned for the bags, but what about the seats? I know automotive leather isn't the recommended material. I've heard to use latigo or bridle for the seats, but I'm not sure if that's best or the best place to find it. I don't want to do veggie tanned for the seats as I plan to sew pleats and patterns so I'd like thinner leather. 

Thought?

No latigo.  They will bleed too much.

For the seat, I would use a chap weight chrome tanned leather intended for indoor-outdoor use.  If you park it indoors mostly, then indoor leather can last a while if you protect it from fadjng and don't mind touching up faded spots.

Bison is an esoecially soft leather that is also strong, cool looking, and plenty thick.

Veg tan or combination tan would work well for saddlebags.  Bridle would be awesome looking.  In any case I recommend diluted Resolene as a topcoat to give some UV protection.

47 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

No latigo.  They will bleed too much.

@bryanmartin  I've found that latigo comes in a variety of finishes. The Hide House in Napa (https://www.hidehouse.com/) carries what they call California Latigo, which is a very firm leather with an almost glossy finish. It is certainly different from most other latigo, which tend to be more supple, and I could never imagine it bleeding. Could be a good choice for a motorcycle seat and bags.